The iPhone is coming to Verizon Wireless

Droogie

So after years of anticipation the iPhone has made its way to Verizon Wireless. Rumors of the announcement have been hot topics for the past few days, and today all speculation has been officially confirmed at a Verizon press conference. It'll be available for purchase on 02/10/11

So who's getting one?

http://www.verizon.com/

Last edited:

Calibretto

VIP Member
Meh, I'm not hurrying to get one. I have to wait for my current contract to end anyway. I'm happy with my Droid Incredible.

bkribbs

It's actually available the 10th I believe. And as much as I want it, I am going to wait for the new one. It will be out during the summer, so it would be pointless to buy the iPhone 4 right now. So if they give early upgrades I will get it then, or I will wait until october, when I am eligible for an upgrade.

EDIT: To clarify, you have the date as 02/11/10, I believe you meant 02/10/11, note year/day are switched.

Geoff

VIP Member
It is the 10th, and I agree if you get an iPhone 4 with a 2 year contract in 5-6 months the iPhone 5 will probably be out, and then you will either have to pay full price or have to live with the 4.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Have fun not being able to use phone services and data at the same time! :p

Im just happy ATT's network will be freed up by everyone who jumps ship.

tech savvy

[-0MEGA-];1578878 said:
It is the 10th, and I agree if you get an iPhone 4 with a 2 year contract in 5-6 months the iPhone 5 will probably be out, and then you will either have to pay full price or have to live with the 4.

there isn't even any news about an iphone 5 coming out.its going to be atleast year befor we see a iphone 5.

tlarkin

VIP Member
there isn't even any news about an iphone 5 coming out.its going to be atleast year befor we see a iphone 5.

He is making a hypothesis based on the past behavior of Apple. Plus Apple has known to be secretive and not announce things. They like to surprise you with their new stuff.

Geoff

VIP Member

He is making a hypothesis based on the past behavior of Apple. Plus Apple has known to be secretive and not announce things. They like to surprise you with their new stuff.
Exactly, ever since the iPhone was introduced it's been on a 1 year refresh cycle, so there is no reason to think it won't continue this year, especially with providers coming out with 4G phones this summer. Apple has usually been pretty good at keeping things private, except when the iPhone 4 was found at a bar.

Droogie

[-0MEGA-];1579249 said:
Exactly, ever since the iPhone was introduced it's been on a 1 year refresh cycle, so there is no reason to think it won't continue this year, especially with providers coming out with 4G phones this summer. Apple has usually been pretty good at keeping things private, except when the iPhone 4 was found at a bar.

i'm tempted to do the same thing.. i know i'll be kicking myself if i don't wait. it's just i'm not sure i CAN wait :p

tlarkin

VIP Member
No voice and data simultaneously = FAIL on Verizon's part. I guess it is a limitation of CDMA. I would wait until T-Mobile or another GSM carrier picks up the iPhone.

Droogie

[-0MEGA-];1579272 said:
You've waited 3 years, what's a few more months :p

i know dude but i want one! ha

No voice and data simultaneously = FAIL on Verizon's part. I guess it is a limitation of CDMA. I would wait until T-Mobile or another GSM carrier picks up the iPhone.

it is unfortunate, but i think people make too much out of it. i can think of few situations where i would utilize that feature anyway.

Verizon, at least in my area, is the best, most reliable carrier. about 95% of the people i know use Verizon, so it really makes no sense for me to use any other carrier.

bkribbs

Happens every summer dude.

Exactly.

[-0MEGA-];1579249 said:

Exactly.

i'm tempted to do the same thing.. i know i'll be kicking myself if i don't wait. it's just i'm not sure i CAN wait :p

Yeah, you should.

[-0MEGA-];1579272 said:
You've waited 3 years, what's a few more months :p

100% correct

I've never had the desire to do this. I could see how that could come in handy, but imho, not nearly as important as good service.

tlarkin

VIP Member
On the phone and need to look up something? Need to get directions via google maps? Well, now you gotta hang up, look it up and call back.

Geoff

VIP Member
On the phone and need to look up something? Need to get directions via google maps? Well, now you gotta hang up, look it up and call back.
As mentioned above, I think it's really overrated. When I talk on the phone I have the device up to my ear, so I really can't do both at once. Usually my phone calls are short enough that I can remember what I need to look up anyways after the call.

Look at it this way, AT&T's technology might allow you to do both, but you never get service where you want it anyways :p

tlarkin

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];1579332 said:
As mentioned above, I think it's really overrated. When I talk on the phone I have the device up to my ear, so I really can't do both at once. Usually my phone calls are short enough that I can remember what I need to look up anyways after the call.

Look at it this way, AT&T's technology might allow you to do both, but you never get service where you want it anyways :p

Well, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I find it useful, especially when traveling in a city I am not familiar with,