The Lego Pc Build Project Thread!

Hey guys hopefully you have been folowing my post in the case section of the forum and you know what this is. If not go read it!

http://www.computerforum.com/194617-lego-pc-case.html

So this is the project thread that i will be posting on everytime i get a part or make something or do anything related to my pc build. Im only 16 so cash is sometimes slow but i will try to update as often as possible. I will post pics and i hope that you enjoy and maybe i will inspire other to do a lego build. Anyway here is the first update.

UPDATE #1- 4/25/11

Just ordered the first few parts to start experimenting on with the legos. I ordered the following:

- Rosewill 120mm case fan, to test the psu and use in my hard drive cage prototypes.
-Seagate 500gb 7200rpm 6gb/s hdd, im getting another on of these once ive got all the major components. This is be best price/value i could find. I am aware that stat 3 is basically useless but this was cheaper then the same version with sata 2.
-Sony DVD-r drive (sata). This one was cheap and had good ratings, i dont plan on burning cds or watching movies so this is all i will need.
-Gskill 4gb ripjaw x 1600 DDR3. This is the stuff "designed for p67" it also looks boss. I will also be getting another set of this once i have all the major components.

Everything but the fan is shipping from NJ (where i live), so it will arrive soon. I will post pics of the stuff and also my lego prototypes for the parts. Also in case you were confused why i bought a fan to test my psu i am ordering that in a few hours. Im getting a good deal on the corsair 750tx, which will probably be more then enough for a while. I also bought a 6 pound tub of legos from my friend today :) The next parts i am going to buy will be the mobo (still deciding) and the 2500k. This will happen either pretty soon or in a month or so. I am trying to convince my mom to let me sell my 1983 gibson challenger which will help a whole lot with the cash. After that i pretty much just need to save up for the gtx580 so i can start gaming. Atleast i can use the sandybridge graphics until i have that. Anyway im going to bed so err happy w/e day!

Bacon

Subbed for sure. I still remember when Legos were the best thing ever. Hell, I still build trains and such with them for holidays.

Subbed for sure. I still remember when Legos were the best thing ever. Hell, I still build trains and such with them for holidays.

Thanks lots. I used to have a ton of Legos but I guess they got lost in the move so I had to buy more from derives to build this:(

Hey guys somewhat boring one but yesterday my Ram, HDD, and dvd drive arrived. I started doing some lego work on them as tests and i quickly realized that this is going to be a tough job to get right and that i need ALOT more lego. So i m on the hunt for more blocks. Also i entered the 3dgameman contest for the nzxt phantom and if i win that i decided i will sell it and use the money to buy more legos :). ALso selling my guitar is a go so i will have 600 dollars fairly soon so be ready for the good stuff in the next few weeks.

Dystopia

Sounds sick, dude. Get some pics up. I would reccommend getting standoffs for your mobo so you have a way to attach the mobo to the case. Just drill a hole in the lego...you get the idea.

Ok guys got some work done today and i finished the first version of my hard rive cage. This is on the outside of the case. I added only 2 pics because thats all it can allow i guess. The pieces on the front that have holes will match with corresponding ones on the case so that i can use the little pegs to hold them together and remove when necessary. This may or may not be the one i keep. Im not sure if i should keep the colors all mixed up but anyway tell me what you think. Also the holes in the back are for when my fan comes in so it can move air. Sorry i look so sketchy in the pick the camera is really odd.

Last edited:
Hey guys today the psu and fan came today. They both work great and I will Lego them up as soon as I can but I have a question. For the fan on my hdd bay should I make it an intake or exhaust?

linkin

VIP Member
Hey, just some friendly advice:

If you have a camera you can use or borrow other than your phone, it makes a world of difference.
And when taking pictures it's good to have lots of light around so flick on all your lights. :)

Don't use the flash on the camera, but use the macro focus.

Get a tripod or hold the camera still if you can.

Looking forward to see how this progresses :D

Dystopia

Hey guys today the psu and fan came today. They both work great and I will Lego them up as soon as I can but I have a question. For the fan on my hdd bay should I make it an intake or exhaust?

Intake, you want the back to be exhaust since (if it is one the floor) that is were the majority of dust/pet hair will be.

Hey guys sorry there hasnt been an update for a while but i havent been able to see my grandmother for a bit, but i will probably be ordering the mobo this weekend so that i can actually get some work done. But for now i have a question about airflow. So i understand that in most cases as long as i have filters on my vent i should probably use negative pressure. However i was just wondering if it would be best to use positive pressure since there may be cracks between some of the legos. Just wanted to know what you guys think?

RoRoYoBoat123

put a thin spray glue on all the legos as you put them together, that will glossen it and help with air, and since its legos you could do custom air flow through tubing paths!

put a thin spray glue on all the legos as you put them together, that will glossen it and help with air, and since its legos you could do custom air flow through tubing paths!

Haha yeah ill have to sit down for a few day and just do it once i have the parts. Now two more question.

1. The front io panel and powerbutton. How the heck do i make a power button?!

2. I want to make the case around the mobo really low profile with fans on top. So i was wondering it the video card withh stay cool if it has its own lego shell as long as the fan can get air to the card? So basically the case will be very thin and where the video card is there will be a protrusion of legos. Is this bad?

RoRoYoBoat123

Haha yeah ill have to sit down for a few day and just do it once i have the parts. Now two more question.

1. The front io panel and powerbutton. How the heck do i make a power button?!

2. I want to make the case around the mobo really low profile with fans on top. So i was wondering it the video card withh stay cool if it has its own lego shell as long as the fan can get air to the card? So basically the case will be very thin and where the video card is there will be a protrusion of legos. Is this bad?

my best idea for the button http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Functions-Power-M-Motor-8883/dp/B003S88XH8 , as for the video card, that depends, it will be enclosed but as long as u have one hell of a SEPERATE fan to it, it might be fine, if you arent for full cool down from the rest of the case then it could work, just give it space, ample intake of air with an exaust heading to the back fans you should be fine

RoRoYoBoat123

Wait what about the fan build into the card?

oh i thought you were saying you were getting a gpu that didnt have its own fan + case so you were going to build a lego case, you just want to cover the case with a lego case? If so it should be fine, just dont cover up intake and output, or if you do, just provide an open area above the fan(s) and then direct like a vent hood towards the inflow of air, but since its legos you could even go crazy and do a direct intake from the outside of the case! just make sure you attatch some kind of film cover for dust, and then you could let hot air go into case to flow through back fans, or once again send it out throught the back through direct lego link

oh i thought you were saying you were getting a gpu that didnt have its own fan + case so you were going to build a lego case, you just want to cover the case with a lego case? If so it should be fine, just dont cover up intake and output, or if you do, just provide an open area above the fan(s) and then direct like a vent hood towards the inflow of air, but since its legos you could even go crazy and do a direct intake from the outside of the case! just make sure you attatch some kind of film cover for dust, and then you could let hot air go into case to flow through back fans, or once again send it out throught the back through direct lego link

Also does anyone know what kind of glue i should use? So far ive been told plumbers abs glue.

RoRoYoBoat123

Also does anyone know what kind of glue i should use? So far ive been told plumbers abs glue.

i would just use something simple, just spray on glue, something you dont need much time to apply, just enough to seal and gloss, the legos are fairly stable just by themselves, the glue just needs to make an airtight hold (legos are pretty damn tight already)

Yea i think i will glue the parts that arent subject to change and leave like the panel over the pci slots unglued for future upgrade.