AND when its done, post it.
Many would like to see it.

I was snooping. goto youtube.com and query
'lego computer tower'.
there is some there.
maybe some ideas you might want to use.

AND when its done, post it.
Many would like to see it.

Haha yeah i watched those vids. Also i think i am going to post pics and stuff as i go along so you all can see since i got so many responses.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
The Legos should support the motherboard well; I'd be more concerned with supporting the video card (if you plan on using an add-on) and the drives.

You might have to run threaded rod through the Lego stack and attach the standoffs to that to get decent mounting for the board, though... or, perhaps, use a dual-wall with a stiffener in between the stacks.

I'm a fan of new designs-- everything up until recently has been built around the same rectangular box, and it's not only boring, but downright stifling.

Actually, I like to go boxless: my firewall is mounted on a piece of HDF, using standoffs to mount the motherboard, drive and PSU. I blow the unit down about once a quarter for dust-control.

The Legos should support the motherboard well; I'd be more concerned with supporting the video card (if you plan on using an add-on) and the drives.

You might have to run threaded rod through the Lego stack and attach the standoffs to that to get decent mounting for the board, though... or, perhaps, use a dual-wall with a stiffener in between the stacks.

I'm a fan of new designs-- everything up until recently has been built around the same rectangular box, and it's not only boring, but downright stifling.

Actually, I like to go boxless: my firewall is mounted on a piece of HDF, using standoffs to mount the motherboard, drive and PSU. I blow the unit down about once a quarter for dust-control.

Hey thanks for the reply. I have a few ideas for the video card but that will be a hands on kind of thing to figure out. I have pretty much decided on the L shape case because its more unique. I dont understand what you mean by running a rod through the legos? Please explain, also what is a dual wall stiffner?

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Well, you were talking about using (I assume) 2x4 bricks to form the walls of the case, correct?

I am uncertain whether those bricks would adequately hold the standoffs, so I thought that you could run threaded rod (or long screws) through the wall of blocks to attach the standoffs to. This would give you more support.

Alternatively, you could build a wall with 2x4 bricks, then back that up with a thin board or sheet of metal, run the screws through the backer material and the wall of bricks. This would be the most secure way of doing it. So that the outside of your case retains its distinct character, you could build a facade with another wall of 2x4 bricks (or 1x4, for that matter, for thinness).

Well, you were talking about using (I assume) 2x4 bricks to form the walls of the case, correct?

I am uncertain whether those bricks would adequately hold the standoffs, so I thought that you could run threaded rod (or long screws) through the wall of blocks to attach the standoffs to. This would give you more support.

Alternatively, you could build a wall with 2x4 bricks, then back that up with a thin board or sheet of metal, run the screws through the backer material and the wall of bricks. This would be the most secure way of doing it. So that the outside of your case retains its distinct character, you could build a facade with another wall of 2x4 bricks (or 1x4, for that matter, for thinness).

Got it, i didnt understand bcz ive never seen a standoff and i dont really know how they attach to the case and the board. Thanks for the ideas, i think i will do the second one and use the facade for cable management if i need it, so its a win/win!

tremmor

its about the adventure and challenge. being creative.
concept is interesting. ya have to admit.
little more than i want to do. its a toy! that could rock if
built right.

apj101

VIP Member
When building something innovative(unconventional) in terms of computers you can never be too cautious.
And people treating their computer carelessly is no excuse to do the same with your computer.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/82184/avoid_static_damage_to_your_pc.html

the static is not a problem at all, no more than a normal case. Static can only form when two objects rub against each other, the inside of his case will not be touching or rubbing against anything. The standoffs on a normal case are for the conductivity issues of having a board resting flat on a metal plate.
The only static risk is of a change passing from your body to the board/internal components when you go inside the case (lego or otherwise). But this risk is no higher of lower than for a normal PC in a metal case.