The newest version of FireFox

gamblingman

VIP Member
Does anyone else hate the new version of FireFox as much as I do?

I cant believe that they changed "clear private data" to what it is in the new version. I saw what had been changed and I refuse to update until I have to. I hate the way it just says clear history or some such nonsense. What in the world are they doing at with that browser, If I wanted to use I.E. I wouldn't have downloaded Firefox so long ago. I hate that the two of them are starting to look and feel so much the same.

Leave it to the big corporations to try and copy their competitors, trying to create equal substitution in the marketplace. It makes me mad. The people the handle FF had something good.

What was wrong with the clear private data upon exiting out of FF?! I loved that feature, that way I could choose to keep or ditch my session data. Now FF has to be set to either keep everything or reject everything from the session and you have you clear it out manually. And I really have doubts about their "Clear History". Besides. HISTORY! History is not all the data the browser has accessed! There are cookies, saved forms, passwords, etc... history is just one of those things! Why are they dumming the browser down?!

And the fact that I cant get FF to ask me at the end if I want to clear my information. It really gets under my skin.

Anyone else feel the same way?

linkin

VIP Member
its totally crap with what they did to it. they dumbed it down way too much. it's just gotten ridicuously over-simple. anyone with half a brain can use a browser anyway.
U just used to Ctrl+Shift+Del and then click clear. now i have to choose anything and everything from those check boxes and choose whether everything or the last couple of hours. i hate it. they make things so simple that they become complicated.

gamblingman

VIP Member
Yes, FF is terrible

Thankyou! I knew someone was bound to agree with me.

I think I know what Mozilla/FF is trying to do. They want market share. They (FF) couldnt compete against the product that the majority of consumers use (IE) because there was too much difference between the two. Because the two products, IE and FF were so different, they weren't direct substitutes. If someone has to change their habits a lot just to do the same thing usually they wont do it. Thus, FF had to change the design of their product to compete with IE. The changes to FF have been so that it is more similar to IE, in function and look.

I am talking about the average person. Most people just dont understand that much about computers, let alone why they shouldn't use IE.

So now we have a browser (FF) that is on its way to being no better than IE.

But there is a good side to this. There is a probability that there will be an increasing demand in the future for a browser like FF used to be. (By my thinking) Eventually there will be another browser come out that meets our needs. It may not be FireFox, but it will fill the same needs, safe browsing, distinguishable options, light, modifiable, uninstallable, etc...

Its all supply and demand. Just wait and see...

Irishwhistle

I haven't used it much (I switched to Chrome), but when I have used it I haven't like it. Is it just me or have they disabled right clicking in FF? :eek:

`PaWz

banned
HISTORY! History is not all the data the browser has accessed! There are cookies, saved forms, passwords, etc... history is just one of those things! Why are they dumming the browser down?!
Umm,,,
2629zbp.png

I disagree with you 100%
Is it just me or have they disabled right clicking in FF? :eek:
It's just you

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Thankyou! I knew someone was bound to agree with me.

I think I know what Mozilla/FF is trying to do. They want market share. They (FF) couldnt compete against the product that the majority of consumers use (IE) because there was too much difference between the two. Because the two products, IE and FF were so different, they weren't direct substitutes. If someone has to change their habits a lot just to do the same thing usually they wont do it. Thus, FF had to change the design of their product to compete with IE. The changes to FF have been so that it is more similar to IE, in function and look.

I am talking about the average person. Most people just dont understand that much about computers, let alone why they shouldn't use IE.

So now we have a browser (FF) that is on its way to being no better than IE.

But there is a good side to this. There is a probability that there will be an increasing demand in the future for a browser like FF used to be. (By my thinking) Eventually there will be another browser come out that meets our needs. It may not be FireFox, but it will fill the same needs, safe browsing, distinguishable options, light, modifiable, uninstallable, etc...

Its all supply and demand. Just wait and see...

I liked using FF because it WAS different. It is far less buggy than IE though.

gamblingman

VIP Member
different

Well, think of it like Mc Donald’s and Burger King. They are competitors for the same market, the same consumer. Their products are nearly identical, just minor differences. But why is that?

If a single product is very different from anything else in the market, and people have to have it (e.g. Internet Explorer), there is a monopoly. So (in the free market system) another "firm" will come in to compete against that product. But there cant be true competition if the two products are different in too many ways. This is when the two products will begin to seem almost the same.

We can understand this better through the economic idea of substitute goods. For instance: you are buying popcorn and you prefer Orville Redenbackers Popcorn. However, the store doesn’t have it, all the store has is Pop-Secret. In this case the majority of consumers will take what is available and is closest in quality and value to what they would usually pick.

Using the popcorn example, we can see the same thing has also become true of IE and FF. The two products are moving together to be more competitive. For instance, FF brought out tabs, then IE did it; IE had shiny, colored “Back-Forward” buttons, then so did FF. They are becoming similar for substitution. They do this to try to capture market share, and why would they want that? Come-on you know the reason:

MONEY!​

Though you may want a product that is “different”, that is not what the market place has been calling for. From my perspective, the market seems to be pulling for a competitor to IE. Thus, we will have to wait for the next revolutionary browser to come out. Eventually the market will feel like many of us do, and there will be a realized gap for a browser that isn’t FF or IE. A browser that supports our needs and desires. But don’t hold your breath, it may be awhile before we see it.

mac550

if you dont like it, download the source code and change it since its covered by the GPL (best licence ever writen IMO) there aint nothing stopping ya

gamblingman

VIP Member
what I want

First off, I was kind of ranting about the new version being the way it is. Mostly I really hate that I cant set FF to ask me if I want to clear everything once I X-out.

And I would really prefer to have a browser that I dont have to mess with the programming just to get something that I can stand to use. Why should I have to tear the browsers apart to get something that works well. Why cant it be function-able without all the hassle? At least for now we can do it with FF, cant do that with IE. How much longer before FF/Mozilla decide that they want protection on their asset and close the programming window?

I'm also annoyed about the way that IE and FF are beginning to look and feel so similar. It wont be long before there is little to no discernible difference between them.

*What I don't like about FF, I've already said. What I don't like about IE could fill a novel! I hate IE. Its a virus risk, I cant put addons, its S L O W, its on the same programming as my OS, its constantly behind the times on security and even looks, the entries for clearing data are obscure (like showing the check box for "Preserve Favorites web sites data?"), etc...

FF is becoming "just another browser" by allowing things like: the security settings for IE to be used as FF's basis. Changing the security clearing to look more like the competition, add-ons are frequently non-compatible with new versions of FF, etc...

aaren47

Hello

Yes I have a good number and having used Firefox for about 6 years I've never had more than a very occasional problem with upgrades. Mostly they relate to extensions or themes that are not compatible with latest Fx versions. However, Fx is not pretty efficient at recognizing that and disabling them at either auto-upgrade or manual install.

Thanks
Have a nice time ahead.