The "Tech News" Thread

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sparkle Readies Single-Slot GeForce GTX 570 Graphics Card

Sparkle computer's CeBIT bit booth featured an eye-catching new graphics card, the Sparkle One GTX 570. This is the first air-cooled single-slot GeForce GTX 570 series graphics card. While it is thin, the card is extremely long. We estimate around 13-inches long, if not more. Sparkle seems to be making use of the extra length to squeeze in as much metal (heatsink) as possible. A fan pushes air backwards. The card features clock speeds of 752/1504/4000 MHz (core/shader/memory).

Like every other GTX 570, it's based on the 40 nm GF110 GPU with 480 CUDA cores enabled, and 1280 MB of GDDR5 memory across a 320-bit wide memory interface. Display outputs include one each of DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort. Sparkle expects the card to be released by next month.

11.jpg

Source:http://www.computerbase.de

bkribbs

They'll drop $100. So 399? It 100 less then whatever they were. I have never even considered one, so idk the pricing.

lucasbytegenius

They'll drop $100. So 399? It 100 less then whatever they were. I have never even considered one, so idk the pricing.

Yeah, that's right. Currently they start at $499. Wouldn't mind buying one myself, only I have other monetary goals and already own an iDevice.

CrayonMuncher

There is other news today but this is just stupid apple nonsense, what a surprise. . .

Apple finnaly lets other browsers on OSX and in the Mac App Store where you now have the option to install Opera Apple states:

"you must be at least 17 years old to use Opera "

Man i like osx but god i hate apple.

http://www.techspot.com/news/42668-apple-you-must-be-at-least-17-years-old-to-use-opera.html

New Unreal engine as well:

http://www.techspot.com/news/42659-epic-unveils-next-generation-unreal-engine-tech.html

Last edited:

DMGrier

VIP Member
17 to install a different web browser? Cannot say that I am surprised cause it is Apple. OSX is great but the company them self is crap, once upon a time apple showed a comcercial to buy there product to break away from big brother but it just seems like they become more like what they are against.

OSX is great but we will see cause in Sept OSX Lion comes out and I have been reading through many of the Apple forums and it seems like a majority of Apple users do not agree with Apple's new direction of taking a PC OS and trying to turn it into more like a mobile OS that will limit the way you do things. Apple may have a "Vista" moment, not that OSX would be un reliable but more as people will just not care for the new changes.

Last edited:

iGeekOFComedy

17 to install a different web browser? Cannot say that I am surprised cause it is Apple. OSX is great but the company them self is crap, once upon a time apple showed a comcercial to buy there product to break away from big brother but it just seems like they become more like what they are against.

OSX is great but we will see cause in Sept OSX Lion comes out and I have been reading through many of the Apple forums and it seems like a majority of Apple users do not agree with Apple's new direction of taking a PC OS and trying to turn it into more like a mobile OS that will limit the way you do things. Apple may have a "Vista" moment, not that OSX would be un reliable but more as people will just not care for the new changes.
No it isn't. I'm running the OS X Lion developer preview and it's not even a mobile OS. IT's fantastic. The iPad features make it better. So if anyone used spaces you can now flick with your fingers. It's awesome, I like using my Web browser and mail client in full screen. The full disk encryption is sweet and is a new format. So it's not like a IMG or what true crypt does, it's now a proprietary format like Fat 32 or NTFS. It's called Mac OS X Extended Journaled, Encrypted.

Also for OS X Lion there will be a migration assistant to help people move from PC to Mac either over network or Firewire.

DMGrier

VIP Member
No it isn't. I'm running the OS X Lion developer preview and it's not even a mobile OS. IT's fantastic. The iPad features make it better. So if anyone used spaces you can now flick with your fingers. It's awesome, I like using my Web browser and mail client in full screen. The full disk encryption is sweet and is a new format. So it's not like a IMG or what true crypt does, it's now a proprietary format like Fat 32 or NTFS. It's called Mac OS X Extended Journaled, Encrypted.

Also for OS X Lion there will be a migration assistant to help people move from PC to Mac either over network or Firewire.

I am not a Apple user so really don't care how great Lion is, what I so know is on the Mac Forums I have skimmed through Apple users do not like the idea of a Lot of the mobile feature coming over. We will see how it does I mean lets face that apple has a very faithful cult following that no matter how bad there products become (iphone 4G;)) that they will continue to buy them.

Further more I don't think I said apple took its mobile OS and called it Lion but that apple is turning there OS more into there mobile version but never said they where the same. It was Steve Jobs at a convention the year before or maybe a little more when they changed the company name from Apple Computer Inc to Apple Inc who said that he believes that laptop's will soon be a thing of the past as Tablets take over, well no better way to push this market then some of the new features in OSX Lion with the interface and its app store.

iGeekOFComedy

I am not a Apple user so really don't care how great Lion is, what I so know is on the Mac Forums I have skimmed through Apple users do not like the idea of a Lot of the mobile feature coming over. We will see how it does I mean lets face that apple has a very faithful cult following that no matter how bad there products become (iphone 4G;)) that they will continue to buy them.

Further more I don't think I said apple took its mobile OS and called it Lion but that apple is turning there OS more into there mobile version but never said they where the same. It was Steve Jobs at a convention the year before or maybe a little more when they changed the company name from Apple Computer Inc to Apple Inc who said that he believes that laptop's will soon be a thing of the past as Tablets take over, well no better way to push this market then some of the new features in OSX Lion with the interface and its app store.

The appstore has so many under the hood advantages. Think about this. Some one under 18 wants to buy an app, no visa card. Parents don't trust a website because it's not ebay and amazon but does trust iTunes. Well there it goes through iTunes and you can pay using iTunes giftcards as well. ;)

And do you have references to these users. With the developer preview people that have it said it was a pain in the butt to setup because it's a dev preview but we all love it!

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
AMD starts selling Radeon-branded DDR3 memory

Well-known x86 chip designer AMD seems to be expanding its business, the new area of interest for the company being memory. That's right, AMD is apparently making DDR3 memory modules now, and it's branding them 'Radeon' to make sure that they get the attention of buyers.

http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/TECHNOLOGIES/RADEON-MEMORY/Pages/system-memory.aspx

http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/news/hardware/40081/amd-starts-selling-radeon-branded-ddr3-memory