The Ultimate Desktop PC! I need help picking out parts

Holiday

OK, I'm building (currently just on paper) the Ultimate PC (price is not an object), however I'm not the best with hardware, so I'm going to need some help. Please remember that currently I'm not planing on buying it, because I don't have enough money, but hopefully when I get some more I can! :)

OK so far here's what I have found. And please, if I don't have the best hardware listed post something better!

$139.99 - Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB Hard Drive (hard drive)
$139.99 - Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB Hard Drive (hard drive)
$199.99 - SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Fatal1ty (sound card)
$499.99 - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 (video card)
$460.00 - 2GB 1200MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 (5-5-5-15) DIMM (Kit of 2) (RAM)
$460.00 - 2GB 1200MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 (5-5-5-15) DIMM (Kit of 2) (RAM)
$699.99 - Sony BWU-100A Internal Blu-ray® Disc Rewritable DrivespacerBWU-100A (DVD Drive)
$79.99 - Sony 18x Internal Double/Dual Layer & Dual Format DVD Burner with DVD-RAM SupportspacerDRU-830A (DVD drive)
$19.99 - Vantec UGT-CR900 All In One USB 2.0 Internal Memory Card Reader (memory card reader)

I still need a Mother Board, power supply, liquid cooling, case, processor and whatever else I forget to mention :eek: .

I think I will go with AMD (if Intel is better let me know) and currently I'm not going to pick out a monitor or speaker setup.
I'm not good with mother boards, but if we are building the ultimate PC we wouldn't want on board Video or sound, would we?
I'm planing on having the two hard drives set up in RAID 0 to increase speed, so the mother board needs to have RAID built in.

I'm also not sure of the best mother board brand, is ASUS the best?

so far current total is $2701.91

This should be fun!
Holiday

Last edited:

Holiday

Id say wait a while...
New gpu is coming out and intel cpu's are dropping.
Monitor?

three things:

1. I don't know if I'm actually going to get this.
  2. price isn't an object (remember)
  3. there is always something new coming out and if you wait you'll never buy anything

g4m3rof1337

Price may not be an problem for you, but wont it bother you, you could've gotten something better for a little less?

PohTayToez

Are you going for the ultimate gaming PC? If so, go with smaller hard drives that are SCSI 15K RPM... maybe a couple of those in RAID together and a couple of 750GB HDD in RAID. Also, you'll want the 8800 GTX, which will be closer to $600 or more. Also, by kit of two, do you mean 2 x 2 x 2GB or 2 x 2 x 1GB... 4GB or 8GB total? Might as well throw in a Blu-Ray DVD burner while your there if price is no object.

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Dual 8800GTS
QX 6700 (or QX 6800 if you wait)
Dual 750GB harddrive in RAID 0
Dual 154gig raptors in RAID 0
X-Fi Sound Card (whichever one's the best)
2 X Corsair Dominator DDR2 800 Ram (2 X 1GB)

X24

quad core pentium 6700
2 8800 GTX's in SLI
1kw pc power and cooling
2 15k fujitsu drives in raid 0
2 750gb drives in raid 0
4x 2gb gskill (8gb total)
expensive water cooling

or you could go with the extremely expensive server with like 2+ dual core cpu's and 16 gb of ram ect. ect.

MacPoint_Man

The Ultimate Computer

This is a good subject. Not sure what your preferences are. Mine lay with AMD and ATI. Been using them paired together in my own personal systems and recommend them to my customers as well.

The reason for that is that ATI manufactures their own Video cards and AMD Processors have a reputation of being the best most reliable cost efficient processors on the market.

That has not changed. What has changed is the fact that Intel now boasts better performance with their new Quad Core Extreme processors. And they are correct. That performance does not come cheap though. These processors are in the $1000 price range.

I am very interested in seeing what both AMD and ATI have coming later in the year. Since these two great companies have teamed up together and merged the possibilities are quite exciting. AMD is releasing their quad core CPUs later this year. This will affect the market and hopefully drop the prices on Quads. Until then Intel is the the performance king.

My recommendation would be to wait until AMD releases their quads. If you do not want to wait go with the Intel. Another idea would be to build a less powerful system using a Core 2 duo or AMD 64 X2 processor. These are priced very reasonably and will give you enough to do anything you wish until we see what AMD has in store for Intel. AMD still holds the value crown in this area. Your only upgrade would have to be your Main Board and Processor. All the other parts would just fall into place.

Video card. Seems that NVIDIA has the corner on the market here. SLI is a better format for Dual video cards. ATI has fine products and their Crossfire system is much improved from the past.

NVIDIA would be the way to go. Your setup is however missing a card.

Memory. HMMMMM Best and fastest 8 gigs would be plenty.

Main Boards. I like and use DFI boards in my systems and those that I build for customers. I have never had a single problem with a DFI board. ASUS does build a great board as well. There are many models that are available that would meet your needs. I believe that the most important thing you can invest in is a good main board. This piece of equipment will determine what you can do with your system now and in the future. The wrong decision will make you wish you had never even thought about Building your own machine. The most important thing about purchasing the main board is what you want to do with your computer in the future.

Hard Drives. I would go with dual Raptors running Raid 0 if you are looking for speed. and give yourself a nice 500 or 750gb for storage. I like the security of my data so raid in a backup configuration would be a good idea.

Make sure that you have a decent dvd burner. You can find them for under $50 now. I wouldn't recommend dropping the money on a Blue Ray or HD DVD burner or drive as of yet. The market hasn't really decided where it stands on these formats and I would like to see where it heads before dropping this type of money on a drive that May be obsolete in a few months to a year. Not to mention that the availability of these drives is pretty sparce. But if money is no object why not throw one of each at your system. Though the HD DVD is available for the X BOX 360 it will work very fine with the PC.

another very important aspect of your build is the Power Supply. You must make sure that you not only buy a quality PSU But that you buy one that has enough wattage to power up all those drives, video cards, and various other items in your monster rig. No less than 750 watts. Invest in this part make sure that it is top quality.

Your case is what is going to house your monster rig. You want it to match your personality and that of your computers. Pick a quality case. those parts are top of the line and they deserve to be housed in a top of the line case. This case should also afford adequate airflow through every corner of the entire case. You want to make sure that your components stay cool. Too much heat kills computers. If noise from fans is a concern of yours then I would consider water cooling your rig.

It is always fun building monster rigs. I however am not a big proponent of Over clocking. But then again my motto is True Power. That means that all the components that are included in any system I build operate according to the manufacturers advertised and recommended specs.

My new rig as it stands right now If I was home and could build it will consist of not nearly what you are considering. Is much more modest and is in the $1500 price range. It will give me more than enough performance and last for quite sometime. And leave my upgrade options unlimited in the future only bu processor type.

I am not happy about what Microsoft has decided to do with Directx 10 but if you want the top of the line operating system expect to drop a minimum of $400 on Vista Ultimate. My opinion is that I can't wait till the entertainment software industry gets in on the Linux Track. $400 is way too much money for an operating system when there are other options out there for much less. The only reason that I can see for upgrading to Vista is for gamers who want to take advantage of DirectX 10 graphics improvements. Needless to say Vistas bloat will drag your system down. I plan to run all my computers on a dual boot Linux OS as a Primary and Windows for Gaming and very few things that I can not do in Linux. HMMMMMMM Let me think of one, Nope not off the top of my head.

Here is a great config for you to consider. Since price is not an object Lets have some fun.

The following parts are available from http://www.tigerdirect.com and are in stock as of the 24th.

A107-1082 :: Apevia X-Pleasure Blue Aluminum AXT Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Fron USB and FireWire Ports (30 lbs)

I have used cases from Apevia before though not this particular model. They build quality cases that are sturdy and innovative. Easy to work in and around. This case is all aluminum dissipates heat better and is much sturdier than many of the steel cases available.

$139.99 $139.99

C13-2020 :: Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 2048MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz E.P.P. Memory (2 x 1024MB) (0.2 lbs)

The best memory is expensive. This is the fastest memory on the market right now. I use Corsair memory in most of the machines that I build because It is reliable and outperforms most other memory on the market. They also have a Variety of memory available for all levels of users.

$375.99 $751.98

S203-2406 :: Samsung 244T / 24" / 6ms / 1000:1 / WUXGA 1920 x 1200 / DVI · VGA / Black / Widescreen LCD Monitor (30 lbs)

Samsung is known for its quality and its performance when it comes to electronics. These are some of the best monitors available. You better have a big desk because we might as well grab two of these bad boys. Dual monitors for Dual video cards. We also can run two more for a quad monitor system. Think of it this way. NO more ALT Tabbing or having to save and exit your game because you forgot where that hidden door was and you need to look it up in your online Game guide. Besides Dual monitors is just cool.

$699.99 each total $1,399.98

O261-2007 :: OCZ / ProXStream / 1000-Watt / ATX / 80mm Fan / PCI-E-Ready / SATA-Ready / Active PFC / Power Supply (6 lbs)

We want to make sure that all those power hungry components in our Monster rig are fully fueled. We also want to make sure that we have enough power for future upgrades to our system. So here we go 1000 watts of pure electric bliss should more than cover our needs.

$329.99 $329.99

GEN-9010 :: PowerUp 3.5-Inch 25-in-1 Memory Card Reader USB 2.0 Port in Black or White (0.7 lbs)

You want to be able to just plug in your memory media and grab your stuff of of them. Pictures, video, songs, whatever. So I threw in an all in one reader so that we wouldn't have to mess with cables for our various components. Though you still have to plug your IPOD in you have front USB ports on the case for that too. But when your friend wants to share those photos of your last wild party or road trip, No need to worry about having the cable. Just pop the media right into the card reader.

$14.99 $14.99

M17-2512 :: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate - DVD (0.45 lbs)

This is an End User copy of the operating system. OEM versions are available for less but are only legal for computer manufacturers and are to only be included with the original equipment the operating system is installed on. As a manufacturer / builder I can not recommend that you purchase an OEM copy of the software.

$399.99 $399.99

L23-7074 :: Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard (4.45 lbs)

This is my favorite keyboard. I have found it to be awesome in the dark and the programmable keys allow you to customize it to your desire. We are building a gaming rig after all, so a great gaming keyboard is a must have.

$68.99 $68.99

L23-7046 :: Logitech G5 Laser Mouse (Corded) (1.2 lbs)

This is the best mouse I have used in a very long time. I have absolutely no desire to switch. Adjustable sensitivity on the fly and you can weigh it down as you see fit. I like mine heavy You may like yours light. Just add to or take away weight to your preference with the included weights.

$43.99 $43.99

I like wireless Keyboards and mice for home entertainment PCs for the living room / entertainment room for obvious reasons. However For this application you never want to be caught out by low batteries.

C44-3336 :: Creative Labs X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Sound Card (1.4 lbs)

On board sound is getting much better these days and I use it quite often as a matter of fact. But since we are building a monster rig and want to offload processing power wherever we can The best external sound card you can get is better to enjoy your games and movies with.

$139.99 $139.99

L23-6332 :: Logitech Z-5300e THX Certified 5.1 280-watt Speaker System (43.7 lbs)

This should be self explanatory. A great set of surround sound speakers so that you get the most out of your sound hardware and immerse yourself in fragging heaven as well as your movies. You do want to hear if someone or something is sneaking up behind you right?

$144.99 $144.99

E145-8000 :: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX / 768MB GDDR3 / SLI / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / Video Card with FREE Dark Messiah Might & Magic PC Game (2.95 lbs)

It wouldn't be the monster machine without dual video cards running in SLI mode. Gotta be the best out there. You have to be careful though as some main boards may not be able to fit these babies in a SLI configuration. EVGA makes a good video card. I have no problem putting as much into these video cards as some complete systems cost.

$569.99 each total $1,139.98

CP1-DUO-QX6700 :: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 2.66GHz / 8MB Cache / 1066MHz FSB / Kentsfield / Quad-Core / Socket 775 / Processor with Fan (1.6 lbs)

Need I say more this is the best processor out there. It is also the most expensive. However money is no object on this build. Quad core processors are the future.

$1,069.99 $1,069.99

E145-2012 :: EVGA nForce 680i SLI NVIDIA Socket 775 ATX Motherboard (New A1 Version) / Audio / PCI Express / SLI / Dual Gigabit LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA / RAID (5.9 lbs)

Picked the EVGA mainboard because we are running Dual EVGA video cards. Just makes sense for the support and compatibility options available.

$259.99 $259.99

L12-1124 :: Lite-On Super-Multi LH20A1H / 20x DVD±R Burn / 16x DVD±R Read / 8x DVD+RW / 6x DVD-RW / 8x DVD±R DL / 12x DVD-RAM / Internal / Black&Beige / DVD Burner with Lightscribe (2.3 lbs)

Dual DVD / CD Burners for all your DVD and CD burning ripping and copying needs. Also Lightscribe enabled drives allow you to dispense with the sharpie and marking on your discs.

$49.99 $99.98

TOTAL $6,584.80
S&H $ 199.00
TAX 0
TOTAL $6,784.65
Total Cart Weight: 168.3 lbs

Will I ever get to build such a system? I hope so. I love this type of thing. For me though on a personal level I wouldn't go this extreme with a system. That is just a personal preference. I usually build my personal systems a few notches below top of the line offering me the opportunity to take advantage of lower priced high performance parts. And the ability to upgrade at a later date at a lower cost. I find that I can do everything I want to do and then some. FPS is perceptive and beyond a certain level in unnoticeable. But like cars people want to squeeze everything that they can out of a system and bleed it for every bit they can.

That is another thread though.

I hope you found this post enlightning and amusing as well. I am certainly open to differences of opinion and other suggestions. Feel free to throw them out there.

MacPoint_Man

X-Systems Computers built BY MacPoint Technologies

falcon_fan

lol I already made one a long time ago. I made one on newegg and I basically spent as much money as possible. I got quad-core intel of course. Two water cooled 8800GTX for around $1000, a $300 motherboard. 4 gb of the fastest RAM possible, 1kw PSU, A $150 case(Cases are overrated :)), sound blaster X-Fi, a $200 water cooler, a really nice keyboard and mouse, two 15k rpm hhd, 7.1 wireless speakers, 24" monitor (almost too big :)) A fast cd/dvd burner.

This is a link to see it:
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=4013814

MacPoint_Man

lol I already made one a long time ago. I made one on newegg and I basically spent as much money as possible. I got quad-core intel of course. Two water cooled 8800GTX for around $1000, a $300 motherboard. 4 gb of the fastest RAM possible, 1kw PSU, A $150 case(Cases are overrated :)), sound blaster X-Fi, a $200 water cooler, a really nice keyboard and mouse, two 15k rpm hhd, 7.1 wireless speakers, 24" monitor (almost too big :)) A fast cd/dvd burner.

This is a link to see it:
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=4013814

would like to see the machine you built. Your link does not work. It is your private account. Super rigs are really fun to build.

A long time ago seems to be only a few months in your terms as some of the parts that you mention have been recently released.

On the contrary cases are not over rated. If you have ever worked inside computer cases very much you can see the vast difference between a quality case and a cheap case. a Quality case is very easy to work in and built with that in mind. Many things are considered when designing a quality computer case, aspects such as air flow not just through the case but even between the components that are housed within it, durability and sturdiness of the construction, and many other things. Some have filters and fans placed strategically in order to keep dust out and pull cool air in and get the hot air out of the system. Believe me you can tell the difference from quality case and an inexpensive case instantly upon inspection.

If you work in enough you will be both delighted with some and frustrated with many. You will remember them as well. Part of making a computer yours is picking a case that you want to look at every day and work in when you make upgrades. You also want one that will help protect your expensive equipment the best and one that matches your personality and the type of computer that you want to build. If you are going to build that $6000 - $7000 system you definitely want to show it off.

MacPoint_Man

if your going for a gaming pc go for an nVIDIA BFG GTX geforce 280 the best GPU out there $330 to $530

oscaryu1

VIP Member
if your going for a gaming pc go for an nVIDIA BFG GTX geforce 280 the best GPU out there $330 to $530

First of all, the GTX280 is NOT the best GPU out there. It's a horrendous buy, overpriced, and overall just a plain energy hog. A HD4870 would be a better buy, and if you're talking in the $330 - $530 range, why not just throw it on a HD4870x2?

The best GPU (to my knowledge), was the recent GTX295.

And last of all, this thread is a year old.