The Ultra X-Connect 400watt PSU review..

Dual_Corex2

banned
Ok, this was my 3rd PSU.

Bought it to power my 6800nu back in the day. But then i got my new 8800, so i got a new PSU.

I am now using this PSU to power my rooms sound system. The ratings on this PSU are as follows:

All ratings are "MAX" ratings, not continous:

+3.3vDC 30A )
240watt )
+5vDC 32A )
380watt )

+12vDC 16A ) 192watt )
400watt

-12vDC 0.8A ) 9.6watt )

-5vDC 0.3A ) 1.5watt ) 20watt )

+5vSB 2.0A ) 10watt )

I hope you guys can read that good. But anyway.

The amp is now being used to power 2 car audio amplifiers:

Sony Xplod 165watts RMS x2 @4ohms (60amps)

HiFonics BXi1206D 1200watts RMS x 1 @1ohm (running at 450watts RMS @4ohms) (80amps)

The PSU can fully power my Sony Xplod with no problem, none whats so ever. It has never failed, or even came close.

I just now hooked the second amp up, so the PSU is now powering 2 amplifiers alone!!

If i ran full gain that would pull near 140amps!

Iv ran 5hz test tones with the HiFonics amp on full gain half bass boost and it did just fine.

I havent run it with both amps at full gain yet, but its running 100% stable at half gain on both amp and sounds awsome!

Bottom line, i never expected this cheap $70 PSU to be able to power amps so good. I figured my Sony amp woulda burned it up, as that amp burned up 2 previous PSU, a cheap 300watt PSU and a high dollor 450watt PSU by Thermaltake!

Amazing PSU. Here are some pics of the setup:

DSC00557.jpg

DSC00558.jpg

I give this PSU 5 stars for reliability!!

Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvOdbhiSg-c

Dual_Corex2

banned
An updated video of the perfomance of these amplifiers with this PSU:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WODIMh-mj6M

The mic on my camera does it no justice, but i am VERY pleased with the quality of this setup. Wouldnt have it any other way!

I have a question though, wouldnt DC perform better then AC for powering amplifiers? Since the current is not alternating.