There are converters for it but will it work properly

darrenvox

I've seen a lot of people try to use and ide/ata drive with sata capabilities using a converter and it sounds like it's working correctly...

However I'm wanting to use that setup only backwards, I have a 50gb hard drive using old ide/ata connection and want to upgrade to sata hard drive of so sort which I will buy later..

The computer has an extra ide/ata cable which if I could find a proper converter to sata would help when getting a sata hard drive.

Only problem is would it work? Like is ther any discrepancies about maybe the hard or converter or something removing all my data/images/ games.

If it's too much to ask and too dangerous I'll ignore this and do something else

beers

Staff member
If the computer already has an IDE interface, why even bother trying to convert it to SATA?

darrenvox

ignore this post, (not because I'm mad) because I just realized they still sell ide drives...thanks to ^^^ for mentioning that to me!!

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
They do make bigger IDE drives to do it simple. But yeah they make SATA Drives to IDE port adapters. That is if you want a SATA drive to use in another computer if you upgrade. If you don't plan on upgrading your computer later its extra trouble for nothing.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Buy a cheap sata add in card and get a sata drive. It's a waste to get an IDE drive now.