Thermal damage to motherboard, am I at risk?

plutoniumman

I have an MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard. I went to MSI's site today to check for driver updates, and then I saw it...

"Due to power design specifications, we strongly advise against running heavy burn in tools on this mainboard to protect your system from heat damage."

I rarely run any 'heavy' burn in tools (only run when I get new CPU/heatsink to find max temp). I do however, render stuff in 3DS Max a lot.

By heat damage, do they mean for the CPU's voltage regulators or something? I want to do what I can to keep my system at safe temperatures, because my computer goes through long periods of time, sometimes weeks, running computationally intensive applications (simulating physics, rendering, etc), and I can't really afford to replace the system board (I can but it'll suck @**). The northbridge and voltage regulators are on the same heat sink, which I've installed a fan over it.

Think it'll help, or got any thoughts?

Okedokey

Yes, they are saying the thermal management design isn't rated for overclocking or long periods of 100% load.

StrangleHold

Staff member
They must of had problems with the board overheating. Since its a older 870 board, probably not worth it to them coming out with another Rev. Never really liked that Northbridge/Mosfet single heatsink.

plutoniumman

Thanks for the replies :)

Are there any programs I can get to monitor these kinda things, and possibly set an alarm if anything reaches too high of a temperature? Or automatically under clock something to bring it back to safe temperature?

My northbridge use to get pretty hot. Not sure of the temperature of the actual chip, but the heat sink would reach around ~75˚C (used IR thermal sensor). It's a lot cooler now that I added the fan (around 63˚C).

I don't think my CPU is at risk; the IR thermometer shows the radiator being under 55˚C and the on-board sensor shows the chip being a bit warmer (~60˚C). ...Yes it's on the warm side, but still just under what AMD says is safe (Which is apparently 63˚C—can't find any official numbers).

Last edited:

Okedokey

Yes, I use AIDA32. Its awesome. I set my computer to shutdown if GPU temps go over 80oC. They're watercooled so they never go much over 50oC even under load, so if they hit 80oC in all likelihood the pump has stopped.

It also provides a customisable side-screen if you use a G15 or similar keyboard with its LCD display. I have my showing CPU %, Ram %, 12V+, GPU temps for each card etc. Its really interesting to monitor these things during gaming.

plutoniumman

Thanks bigfellla

I looked at AIDIA32 and didn't see any options to alert on select temperature values. I used to use this program a long time ago but forgot all about it lol

I do use a newer program, in place of AIDA32, called HWiNFO ( http://www.hwinfo.com/ ). It's updated very frequently; though it doesn't do as much as AIDA32. It does display tons of hardware info. Because it's so similar to AIDA32, I decided to see if it can sound an alarm when the temperature of select components exceed a preset value (cause I never thought of trying until you mentioned AIDA lol). ...And it can!

Now to figure out a safe temperature for each of the components... I'll be editing this post when I'm on my desktop to see the individual components.

Thanks for the help so far!