Thermal paste-application, burn in time

StrangleHold

Staff member
I dont know how many boards you have used, but about all later Socket As had the 4 pin CPU connector, I have one right now a Abit KV7, and most 754s had the 24 pin power connector, unless you had a older AGP 754 board, there all kinds of 754s with 24 pin power connectors. I have a Gigabyte and DFI 754 that has a 24 pin connector and I have a Epox 939 that only has a 20 pin. So its not a rule, just because you had 1 that didnt does not mean that they all didnt!

PC eye

banned
Server type boards were the first to see 24pin with various socket types. The Epox must be a micro atx model there to see only a 20pin 939 board. The Abit KV7 has both AGP and the early PCI-E there probably 4x. That would explain the need for the extra 4 pins powered by the new supplies jus tcoming out for 754 models.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I know servers had 24 pin power connectors, why do you keep sayin that? And no the Epox 9NDA3I is a full size board with a 20 pin power connector, I had alot of 939s with 20 pin power connectors. And no the Abit KV7 does not have PCIe, it a socket A, they didnt have PCIe, like I said about all the later socket A had the 4 pin CPU power connector. You really havent used that many motherboards have you?

PC eye

banned
More then you think. Any Socket A system build or worked on here has never seen a need for the 12v cpu feed seen since on the newer socket types. Some of the old Socket As were toyed with as far as PCI-E1x but simply fell through since there was a lack of support at the same time as 754s were coming out. The 754s primarily introduced the 1x to 4x capacity there until 16x came later.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Never mind, it pointless! You can go in circles better than anybody I,ve ever known! Sayin that no Socket A had a 4 pin CPU connector, that no Socket 754 had a 24 pin power connector or no Socket 939 had a 20 pin power connector. Which is all untrue!

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
I never said that no 754s had 24pin power connections. I stated that 754s were still seeing 20pin. As far as Epox I generally wouldn't looking over that make unless someone was needing help on one. But what has all this to do with thermal pastes? You like to wonder way off subject constantly.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Why did you say all this
The newer AM2 model even the 125w 6000+ X2 use less power then the older 939 model it replaced.

It uses more power

When there's no load on a dual core cpu the second goes into a stndby mode saving on power there.

No they dont

The old boards themselves used less power without the 12v cpu feed seen for P4s then applied to 754 models.

Later models Socket As had the 4 pin CPU connector
For AMD the 754s were still 20pin with the 12v cpu first seen there. Socket A boards never saw the added cpu feed. That came with 64bit capable cpus as far as AMD was concerned namely the 754s.
The 939 wouldn't run with just 20pin used like a 754 model would.

Alot of 754 have 24 pins and some 939 had 20 pin ones

The Epox must be a micro atx model there to see only a 20pin 939 board. The Abit KV7 has both AGP and the early PCI-E there probably 4x. That would explain the need for the extra 4 pins powered by the new supplies jus tcoming out for 754 models.

Not Ture

Any Socket A system build or worked on here has never seen a need for the 12v cpu feed seen since on the newer socket types.
Later models had the 4 pin CPU power connector

I never said that no 754s had 24pin power connections. I stated that 754s were still seeing 20pin.

Make up your mind

Last edited:

jonny-chip

A little cat fight going on in this thread lol XD anywayz am getting a new cpu soon and do i have to buy thermal paste or is it true it comes with the CPU attached to the heatsink already ?

spanky

A little cat fight going on in this thread lol XD anywayz am getting a new cpu soon and do i have to buy thermal paste or is it true it comes with the CPU attached to the heatsink already ?

Yes, it comes with thermal paste pre-applied.

PC eye

banned

He does that on a number of other threads as well. :rolleyes:

The stock heat sink/fan combination will have a thermal pad with a form of adhesive already on it. For going with a 3rd party cooler you then would need a tube of a good thermal paste/compound unless using the compound that comes along with one of those.

With preformed thermal pads once you press those down you have to leave those on unless you have a similar advesive compound to reglue them. Pulling one off tears the pad away from the remaining adhesive making them a one shot deal. Make sure you have it lined up correctly before pressing one down and snapping the retainers inplace.

PC eye

banned
Dont make false statements:cool:

I'm not even going to spend the time posting links to the various threads where you persisted on going way off subject. You prove that yourself by your own actions. The only thing to say to you here is "stay on topic" and "post something productive" for a change.

jonny-chip

Another cat fight started but started by me w00t and oh thanks for telling me about that thermal paste stuff PC eye. :p

StrangleHold

Staff member
I'm not even going to spend the time posting links to the various threads where you persisted on going way off subject. You prove that yourself by your own actions.

If you want to thats fine because all of them is probable where you have made wrong statements.

Last edited: