Thermal paste or Termal grease

Ari94

I got Dell XPS M1530 laptop, as it is old fan started noise. By searching web and visiting forums I noticed Heatsink Thermal paste might not be enough.

Question is if I want to get rid of this fan noise should I use Thermal paste or Thermal grease? and do I also need Pad?

Any reply in this regard will be appreciated.

Thank you

Calin

They're the same thing.
As for pads, they're are mostly used for the RAM chips, either in a RAM DIMM or on a memory chip in a video card, they're not used for CPUs.

Ari94

They're the same thing.
As for pads, they're are mostly used for the RAM chips, either in a RAM DIMM or on a memory chip in a video card, they're not used for CPUs.
-------------------------
Hi, thank you for the quick reply I appreciate it very much.
So, in Dell XPS M1530 if I got to solve that heating problem then I can use the Thermal paste/grease but no need of Pad right?
Actually I was confused by watching videos and reading on websites. Same model you can refer below:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Dell+XPS+M1530+Thermal+Compound+Replacement/37619

Thank you

Calin

L
-------------------------
Hi, thank you for the quick reply I appreciate it very much.
So, in Dell XPS M1530 if I got to solve that heating problem then I can use the Thermal paste/grease but no need of Pad right?
Actually I was confused by watching videos and reading on websites. Same model you can refer below:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Dell+XPS+M1530+Thermal+Compound+Replacement/37619

Thank you
Looks like there is a pad on the northbridge. Just don't remove it or if you do by accident, put it back on

Ari94

L

Looks like there is a pad on the northbridge. Just don't remove it or if you do by accident, put it back on
------------------
Hi thank you once again for the helpful reply.
That is not my pc just a same model I referred to you.

Calin

------------------
Hi thank you once again for the helpful reply.
That is not my pc just a same model I referred to you.
I know, but I did some research and found out that all PCs of that model have a thermal pad on the north bridge. Don't remove it, or if you do, put it back on

Ari94

Hi, thank you very much for the caution. I have not yet open that heatsink panel. kind of little bit afraid to clean thermal paste and reapply.
Your response was very helpful.
-------------------------------
I know, but I did some research and found out that all PCs of that model have a thermal pad on the north bridge. Don't remove it, or if you do, put it back on

Ari94

You probably just have dust in the cooling fins.

Hi, thank you for the reply. Fan and all ventilation are clean.
I solved the problem just making some changes in Processor's Power management from 100% to 95%.
Since then computer is back to normal no heating.