Thermal Paste

viper110110

I just picked up an OCZ Gladiator for my core 2 duo.

Now my question is, do I use the paste that came with it or do I go with arctic silver 5?

I have both, and the arctic silver is brand new, so price/age don't matter.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I usually wipe the stock junk off and replace it with Arctic Silver. I just didn't with my last build cause I forgot my AC5 at school, but it will have AC5 eventually.

Usually just wiping toilet paper over the base gets it off pretty good. Then just add a touch of rubbing alcohol to fully clean it off.

Gabe63

The paste that came with my Zalman cooled the same as the AS5. The paste that came with my Noctua was 3-4deg C warmer than AS5. I would go with the AS5 just because. I always to a test, remove, check, clean, redo just to make sure I like what I see.

viper110110

OK I went with the AS5 and it seems to work fine

While installing, I struggled with the push pins *shoots somebody* and I think the heatsink came out of and back into contact with the processor several times. Should I take it off, wipe it clean, and try again?

Also my temps at 2.5 ghz are about 40 idle (depending on fan speed) and 60 under stress test

Rit

If you plan to overclock, I'd say go Arctic Silver. But if you plan on going stock you could go w/ what paste is on there.