Thermalright Ultra 120 TRUE

Bacon

So, it finally arrived and I had a few set backs.

First I need to get new RAM >< the heatsinks on them are too tall and are interfering with me properly installing

Two, I need to get a new backplate, I was hoping the stock one would work, but it turns out the threads are so far down that the screws can't get to them.

I got this really ghetto setup going on, my case is on its side and the heatsink is just freely sitting on the processor, but its still managing to give me better heat ratings than the stock one.

Once I get it all setup it should work very nicely, I have one fan pushing air through then another fan pulling air out then there is a 200mm fan that is going to pull the air out of the case.

Just needed to vent that out. :D

Vipernitrox

the stock backplate that comes with the true is kinda annoying but it should fit just press down a litte bit more. I installed one a couple of days ago.

Bacon

the stock backplate that comes with the true is kinda annoying but it should fit just press down a litte bit more. I installed one a couple of days ago.

Yes there is a stock plate sent with it for a 775 socket, but not for an AM2, those you have to buy seperately; and since they don't seem to have just the AM2 backplate I had to buy a full bolt-thru package, but I guess I'll have the security of having extra screws. :p

Bacon

I finally got everything hooked up the way it should be and right now I'm idling at 36-37C at 3700MHz, I love this cooler so much lol. Load doesn't go over 45C

Vipernitrox

i've got it to but it isn't performing the way it should be right now. under load almost gets to 58c... but idle is around 30c...
when i get my salary i've got some stuff coming in to improve my airflow and some better paste.

just a noob

hey bacon, it might work better for you if you turn the true a different direction, like if the side are horizontal(since your case is up, and its interfering with your ram) try changing positions to the vertical setup, or is the ram coming into contact with the fan?

Bacon

Is that possible? If I were running a different socket type it might be, but the AM2 socket is a rectangle and only allows me to mount it a certain way, unless there is something I'm missing.

Anyways, here's some pictures:

I used Yate Loon 120x25mm uv reactive fans (default at 1650rpm)
and the third picture shows the RAM is in the second slot and is still being bent slightly.

IMG_2985.jpg

IMG_3013.jpg

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3018.jpg

IMG_3019.jpg

IMG_3020.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

Last edited:

Vipernitrox

you really need to do something about your cabling :p
but it looks nice though. i'll get some pics when i'm done with my current mini-project. also my hard drive broke down on me so i need to get that sorted first.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Is there a reason why your heatsink is vertical? It's really screwing up your internal air flow as there's close to zero air flow coming from the bottom fan. If it's possible at all reorient your entire heatsink so that the fans can blow air out of the back.

Bacon

Is there a reason why your heatsink is vertical? It's really screwing up your internal air flow as there's close to zero air flow coming from the bottom fan. If it's possible at all reorient your entire heatsink so that the fans can blow air out of the back.

I know it is, kinda pissed me off when I found out how it had to be set in.

Unless you're seeing something I'm not, there is no other way it can be oriented.

My Motherboard

Look at the way the pins are setup, it is rectangular, so it can only be vertical, so optimally, the fans suck air through the side panel vent and is then exhausted by the top fan, but then the front to back air flow is thrown out of whack. It sucks, theres really no optimal way. Unless..If I get a new motherboard that has the appropriate orientation, not sure if there is one though.

Edit: Not sure if you guys know what a thermalright's base looks like, but check out the installation process, click here.

Last edited:

just a noob

do you happen to have any wire clips that came with it, because otherwise, your going to have to make a ghetto temporary solution, and use rubber bands to hold the fans on, that should give you quite a bit more room with the fans

Bacon

Do you have the bracket that's in step 5? How much is it off from the AM2 holes?

I have the bracket, I'll check it out when I get home. Thats a good idea I never thought to use the intel bracket.

do you happen to have any wire clips that came with it, because otherwise, your going to have to make a ghetto temporary solution, and use rubber bands to hold the fans on, that should give you quite a bit more room with the fans

I do have wire clips, but the fans I bought won't work..the screw holes need to be open and mine are closed.

This is what I mean, click here. Look at the 5th step and you'll see it.

Last edited:

Bacon

So, I tried using the other bracket, and when I look at it, its off by quite a bit and it can't open enough to allow me to rotate. So I'm still stuck with a vertical setup.

I might just try and talk to one of my friends in welding and see if he could maybe fabricate a new bracket that would allow for a horizontal setup. Would be awesome if that would work.

Unless anyone else has any other ideas, I'm all ears.

So, I tried using the other bracket, and when I look at it, its off by quite a bit and it can't open enough to allow me to rotate. So I'm still stuck with a vertical setup.

I might just try and talk to one of my friends in welding and see if he could maybe fabricate a new bracket that would allow for a horizontal setup. Would be awesome if that would work.

Unless anyone else has any other ideas, I'm all ears.

Yea I had to have a custom one made too. It's bullet proof now, it made out of an 1/8" sheet of steel. It works a little to pull some heat away too. I would show you what it looks like but I dont want to reseat my heatsink as it's quite good and I have learned not to mess with something if it nothings wrong.

What I would do is measure it out as one peice and just make your bends at the proper places. Once you have done that, drill a hole in the middle of the plate. Thread the hole and place a screw into it to lock the heat sink in place to it so it won't move around. Using the stock piece would be a good reference point. The only hard part is making sure the distance from the top of the sink to the motherboard in your bracket allows it to apply a little force but not too much that you damage your components. What I did to solve this is use screws with springs on them to be able to apply an even force down.

Bacon

Here a little picture to understand better what I need to do for this to go into a horizontal setup.

IMG_3039.jpg

The dots represent where the motherboards holes are located.

Now the problem is the TRUE has heatsink pipes on both sides so the bracket can only go through one way and that way forces me to put it into a vertical setup.

So, this is my proposed solution:

Cut the extensions off going to the screw holes;

Explaination1.jpg

Then place them on the sides of the bracket;

Explaination2.jpg

Then use metal pieces to weld it all together;

Explaination3.jpg

All right, I know that looks retarded, but would the idea work? I already have spring screws and an extra bracket.

Here a little picture to understand better what I need to do for this to go into a horizontal setup.

All right, I know that looks retarded, but would the idea work? I already have spring screws and an extra bracket.

As long as there is nothing in the way It should work. Just make sure w/e steel you use it doesn't flex that much