Thermo Gel how much will it help the CPU temp?

How much of a difference (temperature wise) would it make if I were to run my computer without any thermo gels in between the processor and the heatsink compare to running the processor with the gel in between the processor and the heat sink?

Would the gel decrease the temperature significantly?

I have been using this old thermo paste the processor company gave me when I purchased the processor from them for the past 1 year. It's dried now and my brother doesn't want to buy me a new thermo paste because he doesn't think that it makes such a big difference in the temperature of the CPU. Since copper has a relatively high conductivity he insisted on using the heatsink without any gels. Can any of you enlighten me on how much of a difference it would make to have the thermo gel? link me to any sites so I could tell my brother. Thank you!

bomberboysk

I have been using this old thermo paste the processor company gave me when I purchased the processor from them for the past 1 year. It's dried now and my brother doesn't want to buy me a new thermo paste because he doesn't think that it makes such a big difference in the temperature of the CPU. Since copper has a relatively high conductivity he insisted on using the heatsink without any gels. Can any of you enlighten me on how much of a difference it would make to have the thermo gel? link me to any sites so I could tell my brother. Thank you!
The heatsink and cpu can contact in as little as 1% in microscopic valleys and ridges. If you have a radioshack in your area, arctic silver ceramique can be had for $5-6 there, while better stuff like arctic silver 5 is around $9.

Last edited:

ScottALot

There is silver in the paste too (kinda obvious), and that increases the thermal conductivity along with the paste matchups.

ScottALot

Arctic Silver 5 is cheap, effective, easy-to use, and has 99.9% silver in it...just to reassure you.

So far, I only see people who use intel processors, use the AS5. Could someone out there tell me about their experience with this product with an AMD processor? Specifically the AMD phenom family? Thanks guys

gamerman4

So far, I only see people who use intel processors, use the AS5. Could someone out there tell me about their experience with this product with an AMD processor? Specifically the AMD phenom family? Thanks guys

thermal paste is thermal paste. AS5 is silver, silver conducts better than copper. Putting silver between copper and nickel/copper (The CPU cores are covered by a metal peice that is made of copper and has a nickel coating) will aid heat transfer. CPU brand has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

Both amd and intel cpu's work the same way for heat transfer:

[Heatsink Base]
[Thermal Interface Material(Thermal compound)]
[CPU Heatspreader]
[Solder]
[CPU Core]

D@RKSID3

Don't the processor's come with thermal paste? When i recently bought my AMD Phenom II 955, it already had some on it. At least i thought it did, was this not thermal paste?

gamerman4

Don't the processor's come with thermal paste? When i recently bought my AMD Phenom II 955, it already had some on it. At least i thought it did, was this not thermal paste?

A retail CPU that comes with a HSF will usually have a pre-applied thermal pad under the heatsink. It works fine but it isn't as good as the aftermarket stuff.

StrangleHold

Staff member

AMDs OEM paste is so so, not the best but works (ok) with a stock heatsink.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Is there a trick to taking the heat sink's off, so that i may apply some aftermarket stuff?

Just pop the lever over and the clamps on the side get loose and you can get then unhooked. There is a chance the CPU will want to be stuck to the bottom of the heatsink with a stock one. (Dont pull the CPU out with the heat sink)

Its best to do it with the CPU/Compound warm. Just wiggle the heatsink a little when pulling it off. Clean the old stuff off both heatsink and CPU. Apply a small rice size amount to the center of the CPU. Smooth it out as even as possible on the shield and reapply the heatsink.

D@RKSID3

Cool, when i set up, i wondered, because i had planned to put in an aftermarket heatsink, but wasn't sure if i would be able to change once it was installed.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Yea sure you can put new compound on it. With a stock heatsink it wont be a amazing drop but you should get a few degrees drop with good compound.