Thermo Gel how much will it help the CPU temp?

Sorry for the curiosity, guys. It may have sounded stupid on my part to ask if there were any differences in gel-choice for the AMD vs. Intel processors. I have read online that AMD will void my warranty if I use any other heat gel other than the one they provided us.

http://www.xtremetek.com/info/index.php?id=14
"For permanent installation AMD only recommends using phase change material with the heatsink/fan. No thermal grease is recommended for anything other than temporary evaluation purposes. And the only thermal grease recommended for that is Shin Etsu G 749. Artic Silver is made up of a matrix with conductive particles. There is the possibility of creating electrical shorts on the package. Any failed processor used w/ Artic Silver or any other thermal grease other than Shin Estu G 749 would be subject to warranty voiding. The concerns with other thermal greases are due to thermal pumpout causing overheating with on off cycling of the PC over time. The above information assumes you are referring to use with Athlon. For Opteron Shin Etsu G 749 also is the only thermal grease recommended for permanent installation. Again the concern is due to pumpout with thermal cycling."

Anyhow, I don't care much about the warranty since I won't be overclocking my processor. One last question, between the TX-2 and the AS5. Which one is better, overall?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
About a month ago I removed the fan assembly on my laptop, removed and cleaned the processor, the put it all back together. The paste was much higher quality than what Dell originally used, but I can't say there's any noticeable difference. Temps are still about the same, maybe a degree or two cooler.

konsole

silver in the thermal compound has excellent heat conductivity so it transfers the heat between the face of the cpu to the heat sink really well. There are other heat conductors that about as good but are either much more expensive or corrode too easily or loose there "goopiness" in extreme heat changes. Theres a good chance you can run your setup without thermal paste but I wouldn't take the chance of there being a space between the heatsink and cpu or just a bad connection in general. The "liquid-like" thermal compound also flattens out between the heatsink and cpu and fills in any roughness with the connection.