They say "whats the best thing before sliced bread", but...

magicman

VIP Member
ADE said:
Well, what I meant by what was the best thing before optical mice was that where would we be now if it wasn't invented. Games on computers certainly wouldn't be as easy. And other stuff I can't think of would be harder too. Its was really supposed to be a discussion about the advances in past computer devices.
Most commercial technology (computers and others) has been developed to speed up tasks. I cannot actually think of an example that isn't true of that (I'm sure someone else will :p). In the case of the optical mouse, you could say that it saves companies and individuals time that would otherwise be spent cleaning the gunk out of the ball chambers, as well as the cost of replacing duds of course. If you see computers as just the means to to an end which is the internet, sooo much time has been saved with communication through the advent of email and VOIP, both within a corporation, nationally and internationally.

If this thread was mainly to marvel at the advances in pc technology in general, then I support that, as it never ceases to amazes me to think that more computing power is in a modern day graphical calculator than was sent to the moon in the Apollo missions. But perhaps in retrospect this thread would have been best suited to the General Computer Chat section.