think your watercooling setup is impressive?

just a noob

I used to have one in my old office and it ran 24/7 and it ran for three years straight while I worked there. It did not, however, have a computer inside it. It had bottled water and soda in it.

odds are though, the compressor wasn't on 24/7, soda and water will help carry the load, to keep the fridge, whereas computers put off a continuous load, if you want it explained more, just pm ducis about it

Yeti

VIP Member
tlarkin said:
I bet a mini fridge is probably cheaper, hell I see those things on sale at Target for like 40 bucks sometimes. You could just toss a frame in a mini fridge, then drill a few holes in it for wiring, and voila, you have a cooled computer.
This has been discussed many times on this forum. Put in simple terms, a typical large refrigerator uses about 52[kW-hr] per year, which works out to about 6[W] average electrical load (quite a bit less for mini-fridges) and, with a COP of about 3, a 18[W] heat load (and that's including the freezer). Throw in a computer which is producing 100+[W] continuously and you can see why this isn't a good idea. If the compressor can keep up at all, it will likely be running continuously, and it isn't designed to do that.

For the initial post, yeah most things can be done better and cheaper than commercial products as long you have a little knowledge.

Last edited:

Springy182

Looks like SOMEONE had to have the GTX 295 Tri-SLI and dual Core i7 965 setup...

ETA: Imagine if just ONE of those tubes sprung a leak...

Last edited:

ctracer

on the topic of the mini fridge thing, would it work if you replaced it with a larger fridges compressor. I mean the Target 40$ style mini fridges the ones without the freezer(extra load). Maybe installing a hardware temp sensor or even using one build for phase changing to keep the compressor from running 24/7??