Thinking about changing from PC to Laptop??

bernie66

Right well heres the thing, i have a PC at the moment works like magic, nice and fast as i have upgraded the memory and never done me wrong however, i dont have the room for it anymore with my 20" LCD, speakers etc etc and i am looking to buy a laptop hopefully with the money i get from selling my PC, LCD etc etc

I am a university student so i type up alot of assignments. I use the interent alot with various tabs running up in firefox. I also do some downloading but nothing major and i enjoy watching dvds and listeing to music.

I am able to do all this with my PC and it will not slow down on me so i am hoping for a laptop to be able to do the same for me. so basically what i want is my PC but portable so if you could suggest a few laptops for me that are ideal that would be great.

I would prefer a lightweight laptop as one i have had before was extremely heavy. I would like it to be able to run various programs without lagging and for it to be quick.

heres my PC specs, there not the best but my PC works well with them.

I am from the UK and would rather stay away from toshiba as the past few i have had have been CR*P.

Attachments

• Untitled-TrueColor-01.jpg
    Untitled-TrueColor-01.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 83

sab2008

Greetings, I am bumping this up because I would love to hear some suggestions. It would really help out. Thanks

bernie66

I also have a BENQ 20" LCD which i will be selling which is only 6 months old, how much do you think i would get for this?? thanks

daisymtc

right well iv been looking at laptops with about 4gb ram and 250 - 320 HD which i think will be quick enough for me. iv seen the dell studio 15 at £499 heres the link
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...k~en~20211~august_laptop_studio_15_n0853508~~

what do you think about this one?
thanks

Looking at your application, you'd probably don't need a delicated graphic card...
I would personally stick with my suggested £400 laptop...
(Extra 1 GB RAM and HD3450 for £100...)

£400 Fujitsu Siemens ESPRIMO Mobile V5505 15.4"
Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 (2 GHz), 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, DVD±RW, Vista Home Premium

Your £500 Dell, 15.4"
T5550 (1.83 GHz), 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, HD 3450, 8X DVD+/-RW, Vista Home Premium

bernie66

sorry wrong response. Only thing about the laptop you have recommended is that its rather ugly looking

vix

How much do you think id get for my current PC?
Lets see...

Athlon MP 1600 CPU
nForce2 Motherboard
FX5200 AGP Video

Overall maybe $125 USD for the system + $125 USD for the monitor. Depends on how tech saavy the buyer is. :rolleyes: Unfortunately most of the components in your rig are 5+ years old.

jdbennet

yeah fujitsu siemens are pretty good

ive got an ancient fujitsu siemens desktop (circa 2000) and its still going. Only thing ever replaced was the cdrom drive.

muz

That Fujitsu is a good price but i agree it is ugly , now looks arent everything but i also think as a user you have to be happy with the way your machine looks especialy if you are going to be using it day in day out , a friend of mine has a fujitsu simens V5535 looks very simillar to that one above and it isnt the prettiest thing but they are good value for money so its up to what you prefer in a machine looks or value

If looks are your thing then there are a few laptops out there at a simillar price to that fujitsu that are very close in specs
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146941 that's a hp IMO a better brand than Fujitsu
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/144181 that's slightly dearer at £399 but the specs are better than both the fujitsu and the HP and its a good brand of laptop has more storage space which will be important for a desktop replacement and has a decent processor , same one that in my laptop and it handles pretty much anything i throw at it

ive get a dell inspiron 1525 and i am extremely happy with it had it well over a month now and not had any problems with it so i would reccomend dell even though they are slightly overpriced for what you get

bernie66

Thanks all very much for your replies
Iv gone for a dell in the end :)

Now alls i need to do is get my PC and LCD sold best way to do this? Ebay? Newspaper?

Thanks