Thinking about getting Linux

musho3210

Well, ive decided to give other OS's a try as Windows has constantly been failing me. I plan on making my spare computer a Linux. My question is:

I don't know where to begin.... What else would I need besides the Linux OS. All I do on that computer is either go online and surf the web, and do work with Word and stuff like that, and I manage music on this computer. Really, that is it. I'm not sure which type of Linux I should get. If i like it I will probably switch my main computer to a Linux, in which i do much more tasks such as handling pictures, downloading music, the occasional game (not a big deal if i dont play anymore games on it though), and run chat programs to talk with friends (MSN, Steam, Xfire, and Aim).

I was thinking about the Ubuntu line as it seems like the most popular and most used (that may help later on in the line).

I basically need the 101 on Linux, i know nothing about it but i want it.

fmw

What you want is a beginner's distibution of Linux. The one I recommend is Linux Mint. It is based on the Ubuntu distribution and uses the same repositories. It is just a little simpler to install and deal with for a Windows user.

If you have a reliable broadband connection you can download it from the Linux Mint site or buy a CD from one of the many Linux distributors. Your search engine will find everything quickly.

I tend to categorize the various distributions into three groups. The beginner group as I mentioned, the middle of the road group like Ubuntu or Fedora and the advanced group like Slackware or Gentoo.

If you want to get into the middle-of-the-road group Ubuntu is probably a little simpler than the others. Fedora and Open SuSe are also very easy to install and use. Some of the middle-of-the-road distros like Debian can actually be a handful in the hands of a beginner.

Go get Linux Mint and that will get you started about as easily as anything. Then install it and start reading and learning.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well, ive decided to give other OS's a try as Windows has constantly been failing me. I plan on making my spare computer a Linux. My question is:

I don't know where to begin.... What else would I need besides the Linux OS. All I do on that computer is either go online and surf the web, and do work with Word and stuff like that, and I manage music on this computer. Really, that is it. I'm not sure which type of Linux I should get. If i like it I will probably switch my main computer to a Linux, in which i do much more tasks such as handling pictures, downloading music, the occasional game (not a big deal if i dont play anymore games on it though), and run chat programs to talk with friends (MSN, Steam, Xfire, and Aim).

I was thinking about the Ubuntu line as it seems like the most popular and most used (that may help later on in the line).

I basically need the 101 on Linux, i know nothing about it but i want it.

Linspire is a very easy hold your hand sort of Linux distro and Ubuntu is probably for the intermediate or just above beginner user. There is almost always an open source alternative for whatever you want to do. Just beware that even though there are open source alternatives you can't always compare them to actual pay for closed source apps.

Ubuntu has a great user base and a great community forum. I would say it will be your best bet and if you hop onto the Ubuntu forums you will almost always find your answer.

musho3210

Ok, i'll probably go with Linux Mint on my first computer (the spare one) and if i like it, Ubuntu on my second one (main computer).

I'm getting a laptop later this year and I will probably stick to windows on the Laptop, unless i absolutely love Linux.

I have a question on the internet though, is it hard to get on the Internet with Linux? I see a lot of threads talking about how they cant get on the internet with Linux. My spare computer is directly connected to the modem (comcast high speed internet) and my main computer is wirelessly connected to the modem using Linksys. Will I have any problems with compatibility?

fmw

You will do fine. With a simple distro like Linux Mint, you still have complete access to the powerful shell commands and the kernel. You still have a simple windows-like graphical desktop. You still have access to every piece of open source software that any Ubuntu computer can use. You get all this with an O/S that installs automatically like MS Windows. If you want to a custom installation of Linux you can fool around with the more advanced distros after your feet are wet.

musho3210

Would i be able to have a dual installation? Like windows AND linux, and i can choose between the two at start up (I really dont know much about computers and its software so please dont bash me :), ive been a microsoft pup for my whole life). Actually, not having windows at all isnt so bad, but I would like to have the ability to switch back IF i want too.

My secondary computer is a Emachines, it has one recovery disk (I'm not sure if it has windows on the recovery disk, or if it does some other weird stuff). My main computer has four recovery disks, and the main computer is a Compaq Presario.

Last edited:

fmw

Yes, it is possible to dual boot the system. Linux install discs all have a routine for customizing the partitioning prior to installation. Usually the terms are "guided" for using the entire drive for Linux or "custom" for making 2 or more partitions on the drive.

Personally, I don't like dual booting because many, many people wind up having problems with it. But you'll see people chime in hear saying it works perfectly for them. The fact that I don't do it shouldn't deter you from doing it.

My Linux test machine has 6 hard drives in it. I change operating systems by changing the drive that is plugged into the SATA connector physically. Not a practical solution for everyone but one that is free glitches and issues. Hard drives are so cheap these days it makes sense to me to have 6 different distros on 6 different drives. Maybe I'm just nuts.

Last edited:

fmw

I should mention that it is popular to set Linux up with several partitions anyway. The idea is to have one partition for the O/S, one for the applications, and one for the personal directory. That way you can upgrade the O/S without disturbing anything else. It doesn't work with Windows but it does with Linux. You won't be able to get things this tuned in, however, until you get into the more advanced distros.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
I should mention that it is popular to set Linux up with several partitions anyway. The idea is to have one partition for the O/S, one for the applications, and one for the personal directory. That way you can upgrade the O/S without disturbing anything else. It doesn't work with Windows but it does with Linux. You won't be able to get things this tuned in, however, until you get into the more advanced distros.

that seems a bit excessive to me, perhaps a partition for the home directory and then a partition for the root, but making more than that (with the exception of maybe a swap partition) seems excessive to me; but whatever floats your boat.

vinnie107

I have windows vista and Ubuntu in a dual boot.

I started with vista and installed Ubuntu. It was just like installing another programme, next next next.

Its probably the older versions of linux that people have trouble with.

I suggest downloading ubuntu as a ISO image, then burn it to a DVD. That way you can try out ubuntu without commiting to anything.

you should have no trouble connecting to the internet with Ethernet. Its new wireless adapters that people have trouble getting support for.

Hope this helps.