This is a junk power supply?

2048Megabytes

I opened up my brothers Dell computer to look at his power supply specifications. I found no Watt rating on the unit just a model number. I did a Google search on the power supply model number but was unable to find any useful information.

Here is the model number:

TH-0N2286-12782-416-0412

In my opinion it is a junk power supply. Is my analysis correct?

Apoc

It's a 250w power supply. From what I have found out most PSU's that begin with the model number "TH-0N2286" are faulty. Just Google the numbers, you'll see.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
There's a wattage rating on the sticker. You just have to look around for it. Is it the PSU that came with his computer? If so, then yes, it's junk.

danthrax

What model Dell is it? I know most manufacturers use cheap/junky PSU's but some Dell models are higher quality.

Aastii

VIP Member
What model Dell is it? I know most manufacturers use cheap/junky PSU's but some Dell models are higher quality.

If you can find one that has a "higher quality" PSU, please link it. If you mean compared to some other OEM companies, you are probably right, but in actual terms of quality, I have yet to hear of a single one that does.

@apoc, you mean because of that one result when you google TH-0N2286 from a guy's "personal experience"? I'm not defending Dell's power supplies, they are rubbish, which, to answer the initial question, if it is the unit that came with the system, it will be "junk", but choose your sources more carfeully.

This is the internet, where anyone can post anything they want at any time and not have any sort of proof to back it up, so unless they can put figures or proof to their claims, they don't count

spynoodle

I must second this. When working with a Dell Optiplex GX280, I found that the PSU (although only 250w) was much better (and heavier) then some of those POS Bestec supplies in your run-of-the-mill Compaq computer. It somehow managed to handle my Geforce 8400 without exploding. I was surprised. :)

Apoc

@apoc, you mean because of that one result when you google TH-0N2286 from a guy's "personal experience"? I'm not defending Dell's power supplies, they are rubbish, which, to answer the initial question, if it is the unit that came with the system, it will be "junk", but choose your sources more carfeully.

This is the internet, where anyone can post anything they want at any time and not have any sort of proof to back it up, so unless they can put figures or proof to their claims, they don't count

I didn't type All of them are bad, I typed Most of them. There was also more then one review from a few differant sits. I do understand what you mean.

There are unreliable reviews from people that just want to crank on about small things that go bad. It's realy not fair to the seller.