This should last me 4-5 years?

Winterverse

What I want to do with it:
Web Design/Development (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc)
Gaming (Doom 3, Half-Life 2, etc)
Encode Video (From my Canon XL2 ..later I'll get the Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme Pro)

And here are the specs:
Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2
Enermax EG851AX-VH 660 Watt Power Supply
Dual Intel Xeon 3.2GHz w/ EM64T 800 MHz FSB w/1MB Cache
3GB Dual Channel DDR2 Registered ECC SDRAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3400 PCI Express 256MB GDDR3 w/Digital and S-Video Out
2x 74GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM w/16MB Cache
2x 120GB Seagate Barracuda 7,200 RPM w/16MB Cache (backup)
2x NEC ND-3500 16x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Recorder
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro High Definition 7.1 Surround w/ Dual Firewire
Opti-UPS ES1500C 1400VA (980W Capacity)
Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 500-Watt Speakers

Any opinions?

Jas420221

Winterverse said:
What I want to do with it:
Web Design/Development (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc)
Gaming (Doom 3, Half-Life 2, etc)
Encode Video (From my Canon XL2 ..later I'll get the Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme Pro)

And here are the specs:
Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2
Enermax EG851AX-VH 660 Watt Power Supply
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3400 PCI Express 256MB GDDR3 w/Digital and S-Video Out
2x 74GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM w/16MB Cache
2x NEC ND-3500 16x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Recorder
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro High Definition 7.1 Surround w/ Dual Firewire
Opti-UPS ES1500C 1400VA (980W Capacity)
Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 500-Watt Speakers

Any opinions?
No computer will last that long. By then that thing will be obsolete for sure.... Sorry, technology is a bitch ehh?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
This should last me 4-5 years?
Without reading the rest of the post, no.

How exactly do you have dual-channel 3GB?

Actually, I think the Quadro is overkill.. where the GeForce 6800 GT would probably do nicely.
Overkill nothing. The Quadro will get pwned for Doom3. Of course the 6800GT will get pwnd for the professional stuff so it depends on what you wanna do with the system: either play or work, both isnt an option.

On what SCSI controller?

On what board?

Winterverse

I wouldn't be able to use the Quadro to play games? Anyone recommend an 'inbetween card' then? Now I'm rethinking my setup and considering this motherboard although I was really hoping to find a medium. Also, does anyone know where I could buy Windows XP Pro with SP1 instead of SP2?

Thanks for the replies, really killed my naive attitude :D

Rambo

How Much......?

I'm just curious......How much are you planning on spending on this computer? It's just that it sounds like it will total to the equivalent of a nuclear bomb :eek: ($499 on a motherboard is alot of money, atleast for me it is)!!

Don't you think that you should spend half of the money on a computer now, and save the rest for when technology advances? The computer side of tech has increased rapidly this year (I mean 2004), and I don't think that it will stop for 4 to 5 years :p Things will get better, faster, graphics will appear much more realistic (possibly AGP 16x??) - perhaps 128 Bit! Just my opinion on things :D

Cheers,

Rambo.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't be able to use the Quadro to play games?
You can but I wouldnt consider it. The Quadro is a workstation card and as such the emphasis is not on speed but rather, pixel precision .. since nVidia is generally a gaming company, the Quadro tends to be one of the better of the workstation cards

Now I'm rethinking my setup and considering this motherboard
What was the original choice?

Also, does anyone know where I could buy Windows XP Pro with SP1 instead of SP2?
You can buy WindowsXP in some places and try and find the SP1 someplaces :)

$499 on a motherboard is alot of money
Not for that kinda setup it isnt :p

Don't you think that you should spend half of the money on a computer now, and save the rest for when technology advances?
It'll still ve expensive then too :p

Things will get better, faster, graphics will appear much more realistic (possibly AGP 16x??) - perhaps 128 Bit! Just my opinion on things
AGP will die in two years :p

Rambo

It'll still ve expensive then too :p

Yes, which is exactly my point. Save some money for when you really need to use it on the 'Super Computer' ;)

AGP will die in two years

Well, maybe so, but two years is quite a long time.... You never know what may happen inbetween.

Why do you think it will die in two years anyway?

:)

4W4K3

VIP Member
Rambo said:

Cuz' PCI-E/X is the new craze, and with it's very first revision it equaled/slightly outperformed the best AGP there is. They might come out with an AGP16X (doubtful i think) but the advances they use to develop it will be better invested in PCI-E/X since a majority of enthusiasts are switching that way. i myself have no interest in AGP, cuz PCI-E seem to be the way of the future. it's just kinda fading out...

Rambo

ahhhh! I getcha! I've heard of PCI-Express, perhaps that is what it is. Is a PCI-E/X a normal PCI slot or is it different?

Winterverse

Well shucks.. I thought I was being smart by getting something powerful early (I wouldn't be doing the video editing until the end of the year) but since technology moves so fast I'll get a much cheaper one and by the time I go after the dual processors I'm sure they'll be even more powerful and no doubt the same cost. I noticed computer prices don't so much increase but they just get faster! Thanks for the comments, glad I didn't waste my money.

zilla

Rambo said:
Don't you think that you should spend half of the money on a computer now, and save the rest for when technology advances? The computer side of tech has increased rapidly this year (I mean 2004), and I don't think that it will stop for 4 to 5 years :p Things will get better, faster, graphics will appear much more realistic (possibly AGP 16x??) - perhaps 128 Bit! Just my opinion on things :D

Cheers,

Rambo.

He obviously isn't concerned with the price tag dude. It's like buying a Ferrari, who cares about spending an extra 10K on carbon fiber interior options, when you're already dropping 150K on the basic car itself?

Winterverse

zilla said:
He obviously isn't concerned with the price tag dude. It's like buying a Ferrari, who cares about spending an extra 10K on carbon fiber interior options, when you're already dropping 150K on the basic car itself?

Exactly! I didn't care the cost, but I wanted something worth my money regardless if it was $5k or $10k!

Unfortunately though reading back no one answered my question.. is a dual processor faster all around or simply better for multitasking? I figure I can always just upgrade the processors on the MB in the future.. doubt 4gigs of memory will degrade anytime soon and my graphics card will always be exchangeable. But! If dual processors don't give me any additional power it's a waste of my money and that's what I'm trying to understand. I want power, massive power that will be upgradeable and worth the money.

Bobo

banned
Winterverse said:
Unfortunately though reading back no one answered my question.. is a dual processor faster all around or simply better for multitasking? I figure I can always just upgrade the processors on the MB in the future.. doubt 4gigs of memory will degrade anytime soon and my graphics card will always be exchangeable. But! If dual processors don't give me any additional power it's a waste of my money and that's what I'm trying to understand. I want power, massive power that will be upgradeable and worth the money.

You don't need dual proc, the a64 FX-55 or p4 3.8 is plenty good enough for anything out there now. Or you could get a dual proc board, and get a 2nd one in a year or 2.

If you want massive power, get 2 gigs(at least) of ddr2 or whatever. You dont need dual proc

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, which is exactly my point. Save some money for when you really need to use it on the 'Super Computer'
And when wil lthis point come around? ;)

Well, maybe so, but two years is quite a long time.... You never know what may happen inbetween.
AGP will die. PCIe has some quite some life it. The problem naturally isnt the interface but the card

Dude .... :p

I've heard of PCI-Express, perhaps that is what it is. Is a PCI-E/X a normal PCI slot or is it different?
PCIe is one thing (same as PCI-x16, etc) but PCI-X is [potentially] something else.

Well shucks.. I thought I was being smart by getting something powerful early (I wouldn't be doing the video editing until the end of the year) but since technology moves so fast I'll get a much cheaper one and by the time I go after the dual processors I'm sure they'll be even more powerful and no doubt the same cost. I noticed computer prices don't so much increase but they just get faster!
You shoudl seriously consider a pair of dual-core Opterons (with SLI at that heehee)

Also, if I purchase Windows XP Pro with SP2 preinstalled can I uninstall it and just stick with SP1?
Effectively ... no.

You don't need dual proc, the a64 FX-55 or p4 3.8 is plenty good enough for anything out there now. Or you could get a dual proc board, and get a 2nd one in a year or 2.
Tell that to my budding renderserver.

If you want massive power, get 2 gigs(at least) of ddr2 or whatever. You dont need dual proc
With serious servers hitting up 4GB per CPU, 2GB is piddly. Regardless, you'd need registered memory in a server environment (which effectively is nonexistent)

bigsaucybob

[-0MEGA-] said:
Do you think that posting pictures of yourself will make you cool?

if thats actually a picture of him, its gonna take a lot more than posting his picture on forums to make him cool.