This sound like lightning damage?

Jonesin31

I got home from vacation to find that my power had been out due to a lightning strike. Once I got the power restored, I turned on the pc and my monitor said there was no input on dvi. I tried switching to the hdmi feed to my tv and no pic on the tv either. I have 2 dvi outs on the video card so I switched the monitor to the empty dvi slot and I have a picture again. I then realized that my internet wasn't working because lightning got the box outside. The cable company fixed that but it still wouldn't work becuase lightning had come through the ethernet and fried my router too. Plugging the ethernet cable straight into my pc makes it work. I have my pc plugged into a surge protector so I don't know if the lightning coming in the ethernet could have damaged the video card too. Does that sound like what has happened?

tremmor

Sounds like it to me. Not good if lightening hits the line. Surge protection won't do much good. Voltage to high. On another note i would surely talk to the neighbors and ask when and time. i would document this info for insurance claim reasons. if that happened to the line voltage you could easily blow everything in the house. fridge, electronics etc. it could easily destroy everything in the house because of the extremely high voltage and current. Even a surge when loosing power then going back on can do severe damage. just my thought.

Jonesin31

I just don't understand why the only outputs that don't work are the two that were already plugged in (the tv and the monitor). Both of those were plugged into a surge protector. The video card itself works fine with the monitor plugged into the dvi out that had nothing in it at the time of the strike. Wouldn't lightning damaged the entire card? I don't know much about this sort of thing. It just seems odd to me.