Those little things called "cracks"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoonsi

I was wondering if it is illegal to use cracks if you own the game? Can anyone shed some light for me?

Thanks!

heyman421

banned
that's a bs reason, and you know it

you've got to do a hell of a lot of damage to a disc before it becomes unreadable

vroom_skies

VIP Member
That is not a bs reason AT ALL.

Also what about the fact that you wouldn't have to use the cd every time you want to play the game.

PohTayToez

That is not a bs reason AT ALL.

Also what about the fact that you wouldn't have to use the cd every time you want to play the game.

I agree... CD's become unreadable quite easily. Also, this thread is on the discussion on the legality of cracks, which shouldn't be against forum rules. He's simply asking if something is legal or not, not how to do it.

heyman421

banned
i've never heard of a console gamer complaining about having to change games, i'm sure there's no reason you can't muster the strength to lift a 1/2 oz. piece of plastic out of it's case, and put it into your drive.

It's good exercise. Give it a try.

PohTayToez

Hey, stop being a smartass. That's not even the point of this entire issue. There would be no reason for this guy to ask this question if he was using cracks for any ill intended purposes. Stop trying to be the shining star that's better than everyone else, and open your eyes a little. Disks can get lost or damaged easily, I know that I've lost valuable media due to just a little scratch that corrupts a couple of files. Also, what if you own multiple computers in different locations (i.e., your a kid and your parents split and you spend time with both, or you go to college, but come home a lot too)... it would be a pain to have to remember to bring every little disk that you might want to use. There are plenty of reasons for wanting to crack a program that you own, and if this had anything to do with cracking something you didn't own, this guy wouldn't ask about it, he'd just do it.

TheOrteganator

I have No-CD cracks on many of my games. They are all legit, and I purchased them legally. I just use them because I switch from game to game a lot, and that allows me to just click and play, instead of having to get out the disc each time. I know that putting a disc in the tray isn't a huge deal, but it's just nice not having to do it.

PohTayToez

Software licenses vary greatly depending on the type of software and the company that owns it. What you are referring to is software such as operating systems, office suites, etc, that runs without the disk, making it more apt for abuse. I'm willing to bet that many games, especially ones that don't come with an activation key, are pretty lose with the license. Generally the only thing strictly prohibited is copying for distribution and/or profit.

Yoonsi

Actually the reason I ask is because I use my dads computer a lot at his work and its really silly, he keeps the front panel locked so people cant access the buttons and drives, so when Im using it I don't want to/am not able to constantly get him to open it for me (its self locking) so I was wondering if I could use cracks on the games I have installed there. (I own hard copies of all of them) And if you must know, the reason I spend so much time at my dads work is because my parents are split and same-day travelling is a hassle.

Yoonsi

you've got to do a hell of a lot of damage to a disc before it becomes unreadable

Funny, I just bought an Audio CD, and it seemed perfect. Put it in the drive, and first song skipped. Took it out, cleaned off the supposedly negligible dust and it worked fine.

Theres a difference in UNREADABLE and damaged. Surely you know that a game is made up of many different files, and if a particularly crucial file were corrupted then the whole thing might not work? And since when is the discussion of somethings legality illegal or frowned upon?

Tahj

From reading different gaming forums, it seems that cracks can sometimes cause issue w/in the game itself. I have no idea from personal experience, it is just my conclusion from reading multiple threads like this:

Someone comes to the table asking a question of 'why is XX not doing YY' - if no answer is concluded after a period of time, the question of 'is this the real game' is mentioned, & if confirmed that it is not, the last post is often a mod saying that cracks can cause issues, & then the thread is locked.

Has your father said he will not keep it open when you're there?

Cheers,

~Jay:p

Jack Bauer

banned
Funny, I just bought an Audio CD, and it seemed perfect. Put it in the drive, and first song skipped. Took it out, cleaned off the supposedly negligible dust and it worked fine.

Theres a difference in UNREADABLE and damaged. Surely you know that a game is made up of many different files, and if a particularly crucial file were corrupted then the whole thing might not work? And since when is the discussion of somethings legality illegal or frowned upon?

If you just bought the audio cd and it didn't work and it was brand new then you should be thinking about cleaning the laser eye off and seeing if that helps;).

All my games and movies all heavily scratched beyond hope and they all still work without a problem installs everytime without a problem and there are scratches everywhere on it. So I guess if you guys have trouble reading cd's then it is probalby a problem with your cd/dvd drive.

PohTayToez

If you just bought the audio cd and it didn't work and it was brand new then you should be thinking about cleaning the laser eye off and seeing if that helps;).

All my games and movies all heavily scratched beyond hope and they all still work without a problem installs everytime without a problem and there are scratches everywhere on it. So I guess if you guys have trouble reading cd's then it is probalby a problem with your cd/dvd drive.

Sure, CD's gather tons of little scratches, just from everyday careful use, but all it takes is one that went just a little too deep, or a shallow one on the top side to render the CD useless.

From reading different gaming forums, it seems that cracks can sometimes cause issue w/in the game itself. I have no idea from personal experience, it is just my conclusion from reading multiple threads like this:

Oh, yeah, they definitely can. Lots of cracks aren't perfect, and result in errors and programs closing for no reason.

I know this becaues, uh...

My friend uses cracks all the time. Yeah.

Last edited:

speedyink

VIP Member

Don't be an ignorant prick. I have plenty of older computer games that wont run because the disc is too scratched. Why put a cd in your computer when the entire game runs on the hard drive anyway?

As for cracks causing issues, I haven't had any problems yet. I have heard of it happening though.

you should just get a tool such as daemon (a cd drive emulator) and save the content of your cd's to your hard drive as iso (cd files). Daemon can run many cd files at a time, emulating many drives so you wouldn't have to switch cd's in the drive, just put them in once and save them as an iso and attach them to Daemon as an emulated drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.