Thoughts on freon and liquid cooling ...

Sepzis

Back to the original question.. Will the low temp damage the mobo over time. I would think a mobo isnt ment for extremely low temps. But can they handle it?

Yeti

VIP Member
Sepzis said:
Back to the original question.. Will the low temp damage the mobo over time. I would think a mobo isnt ment for extremely low temps. But can they handle it?
Mismatched thermal expansion coefficients or thermal shock, though very unlikely, could damage a board as well as increased brittleness with any internal stresses. There is also a possibility of a motherboard "cold bug" at very low temperatures. However, the motherboard really shouldn't be getting very cold (just how cold you still haven't stated) since you are cooling the CPU, not the motherboard. Cooling the motherboard is just wasted cooling power and raises the lowest achievable CPU temperature, not to mention the additional area in which condensation must be accounted for. Short answer - no, low temps shouldn't be an issue for the motherboard over time.

Okedokey

We used to use Freon to clean jet engine parts ;) I thought it had been banned too?

Anyway, this seems like a massive overkill, but hey - im not one to talk ;)

To the OP, have you got plans or schematics to show how you are going to do it?

MMM

If you are talking about the point of chilling part of a circuit board under normal operating conditions then YES you eventually will do permanent damage.