Thoughts on my perspective system?

jjohnston

HP Pavilion zv5000t

2.8ghz Celeron CPU
256mb of ram
30gig 4200rpm HDD (will up grade to a 40gig 5400 later)
8xDVD Rom Drive
Built in 802.11b
15.4" WXGA Wide screen display
ATI 9000 Video
12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

What do you all think? I went with the 30gig 4200 Drive because the next step faster was an 80 gig 5400 for an extra $250, so I figure I could buy an hdd later for less because I don't need 80 gig.

nomav6

not a fan of the celeron CPU's but if the price is right I would go with one, and I also would go with the 30gb over the 80gb for that price.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. You're probably better off getting either a full P4M/Centrino/AthlonXP-M book rather than a Celeron book because (a) very noticeable performance increase, (b) a longer product lifespan and (c) less depreciation if you ever decide to sell it

2. You're prolly not gonna enjoy the 4200rpm drive very much (espcially since they've been unofficially scrapped circa2000 when I bought my laptop). The 5400s dont use that much more battery life and offer quite the performance boost.

3. Given that you're getting a 'mainstream' book, i'd spend the extra money now (if you can) and get the bigger drive as it might be a hassle to get the upgrade later on (especially when you are deciding on whether to upgrade the book in order to stretch its lifespan or to just get a new book)

:)