Thoughts on this monitor

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member

Over 20 bucks cheaper from Amazon though.

I would prefer an Asus but having a hard time finding one that isn't curved with these specs. Currently have a 27" 60hz 1080p Asus. I'm kinda scared that its a TN panel and only a 1 year warranty, would rather have an IPS panel with longer warranty.

The only games I play are FPS games like Call of Duty and Battlefield series. I was also considering buying like a 50" TV designed for gaming like this one and mount it on the wall.

Better yet, I just found this Asus monitor, same price at Amazon and Newegg. Really liking it too.

I really hate making decisions like this.

I realize its only 60hz but does it have something else to help with gaming?

Intel_man

VIP Member
I'm kinda scared that its a TN panel and only a 1 year warranty
The LG's a VA Panel.

Usually between IPS and VA, you're trading a higher contrast ratio and a slower response time for VA. For FPS gaming, I'd probably stick with IPS for the faster response time.

I wouldn't bother with the marketing BS when it comes to HDR, especially when it's only rated for HDR400. Considering that HDR600 is what I would say, bottom of the barrel acceptable for HDR content.

As for the TV, the hisense u7g is reaaally good for what it's priced at if you want to make that jump. Smallest one only comes in at 55" tho.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just looked at monitors with HDR600 and cost is right around $700 or more, don't want to spend that much and seems it is only Gsync compatible to where I have an RX580 video card.

So honest answer here. What your thought on that Asus link I posted? Would it suffice?

And I really don't think a 55" tv would work where it has to go, might be too big. My computer desk to to the left of our wall mounted tv in the living room. My desk is 4ft wide and the wall mounted 65" tv is within 2 inches of the side of my desk.

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
Just looked at monitors with HDR600 and cost is right around $700 or more, don't want to spend that much and seems it is only Gsync compatible to where I have an RX580 video card.
It really only matters if you plan on playing games that utilize HDR in the first place. And Windows 10 implementation of HDR is soooooooooooooo lame.

G-Sync compatible is just Nvidia's confirmation that VRR/AMD Freesync works with their Nvidia cards to their made up standard. So anything G-Sync compatible will work with AMD FreeSync.

So honest answer here. What your thought on that Asus link I posted? Would it suffice?
I don't see any problems with it. Seems like a decent monitor for what it costs.

And I really don't think a 55" tv would work where it has to go, might be too big. My computer desk to to the left of our wall mounted tv in the living room. My desk is 4ft wide and the wall mounted 65" tv is within 2 inches of the side of my desk.
Shame... it seems like a good budget TV these days without it being a piece of crap starts at 55". TCL 6-series is the same situation. Starts at a 55" size.

Darren

Staff member
Yeah where are you seeing 170hz? That seems weird.

My two Ultrawides like to default to 60Hz sometimes when one or the other gets replugged (have to swap cables regularly for work), so if you notice stuff feeling sluggish randomly, check that.

You thought 60hz was smooth until you saw 144hz and now 60 feels terrible. It's a curse.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Yeah where are you seeing 170hz? That seems weird.

My two Ultrawides like to default to 60Hz sometimes when one or the other gets replugged (have to swap cables regularly for work), so if you notice stuff feeling sluggish randomly, check that.

You thought 60hz was smooth until you saw 144hz and now 60 feels terrible. It's a curse.
144 is nice. It's a bit hard to drive on the GTX 1080 though I must admit. Now that I own both a 180hz Ultrawide and a 60hz ultrawide, I'd say that jumping to an ultrawide is more important than going to 144hz with 16:9 for the games that I play and other general non gaming shenanigans.