Tiger?

Tuffie

It's against the law to use OSX x68 on a windows machine.

And also I think it's against forum rules to talk about downloading it.

Kent.

Irishwhistle

It's against the law to use OSX x68 on a windows machine.

And also I think it's against forum rules to talk about downloading it.

Kent.

I'm not telling him where he can download it, I'm just explaining that that is the only way. Even if it is illegal.

~Jordan

Schonza

I'm just asking, I don't plan on stealing it, but I reckon they should sell it, because they would have a lot of people buy it, and they would compete with microsoft. I want to have Tiger, but without using a mac machine. Thanks.

Irishwhistle

I'm just asking, I don't plan on stealing it, but I reckon they should sell it, because they would have a lot of people buy it, and they would compete with microsoft. I want to have Tiger, but without using a mac machine. Thanks.

I agree, they most certainly should.

~Jordan

Itanda

Just out of cruiousity, why is it illegal to have mac os on a windows machine when you do do the same just vis versa

Schonza

Sorry for sounding like a Knob before I just wanted to make sure you knew.

Kent.
Nah it's cool mate, just making sure I wasn't out of line. :p

Just out of cruiousity, why is it illegal to have mac os on a windows machine when you do do the same just vis versa
Yeah, it's kind of stupid in my opinion. But oh well, what can you do?

Tuffie

Also what pisses me off is that Mac is allowing all Microsoft OS's onto their systems, but there such knob heads that they wont let Mac OSX go onto an X68 processor.

Selfish.

Kent.

Rambo

Also what pisses me off is that Mac is allowing all Microsoft OS's onto their systems, but there such knob heads that they wont let Mac OSX go onto an X68 processor.

Selfish.

Kent.

First off, it's x86, not x68. And secondly, their current Mac's are using practically the exact same hardware you can buy at a retail shop. The reason that they are not releasing OS X for standard x86 PC's is because they are clever. Apple, as a business, wants as many people to buy its hardware products (I'm focusing on the Mac's). Suddenly, they have a computer that can run practically any OS out there (OS X, XP/Vista, Linux, etc...). It's illogical to release it now, since that's one of their major selling points!

In answer to schoning16's question, you can buy retail versions of OS X. But they're for PPC (PowerPC) computers. However, when you buy an Intel Mac, there is an OS X version for x86 computers that ships with it (it's just not compatible with your bog standard PC's since Mac's use EFI [like a PC's BIOS, but better :p]).

Draco Malfoy

Isn't there a legitimate project that will emulate the Mac processor on the PC, provided you have the CDs for Mac OS X?

tlarkin

VIP Member
First off, it's x86, not x68. And secondly, their current Mac's are using practically the exact same hardware you can buy at a retail shop. The reason that they are not releasing OS X for standard x86 PC's is because they are clever. Apple, as a business, wants as many people to buy its hardware products (I'm focusing on the Mac's). Suddenly, they have a computer that can run practically any OS out there (OS X, XP/Vista, Linux, etc...). It's illogical to release it now, since that's one of their major selling points!

Exactly, it would take away from their sales, and hurt them financially.

In answer to schoning16's question, you can buy retail versions of OS X. But they're for PPC (PowerPC) computers. However, when you buy an Intel Mac, there is an OS X version for x86 computers that ships with it (it's just not compatible with your bog standard PC's since Mac's use EFI [like a PC's BIOS, but better :p]).

Not true, any version of OS X that is 10.4.6 or higher is actually Universal Binary and can run on either x86 macs or PPC macs. I have both OS X server and OS X 10.4.8 DVDs that work on both hardware platforms.

Isn't there a legitimate project that will emulate the Mac processor on the PC, provided you have the CDs for Mac OS X?

No, its not an emulator, and no its not a legit project. Read Apple's EULA of their OS.

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx104.pdf

Read section 2, it clearly states that if you buy the OS you are allowed to load it onto one apple branded computer, no more, and not on any other brand.

Furthermore project OS X x86 is treading on thin water. Apple runs on what is called the TPM (trusted platform module) which, to install OS X on a non apple computer you would have to break the TPM since its in the hardware, ie you'd have to hack it. Which breaks a lot of legal things in the DMCA.

If you want to run OS X, just go buy a mac.

Rambo

Not true, any version of OS X that is 10.4.6 or higher is actually Universal Binary and can run on either x86 macs or PPC macs. I have both OS X server and OS X 10.4.8 DVDs that work on both hardware platforms.

Ahh, ok. Thanks :)