TigerDirect Stores

AE7

I just thought of this after reading someone's post in another thread. I am curious to see what everyone thinks of TigerDirect's stores in cities across the US. I don't know if this is a new thing for TigerDirect, but this was new to me.

I have ties in the Dallas area and was visiting, and noticed the TigerDirect store from the tollway. I went to check it out, and it was the biggest disappointment ever. Immediately after walking in the store, I got attacked by the employee greeting people at the door-I would refer to him as a greeter but I think that job title requires one to be 80 years old. Anyway, I wanted to see what kind of products they had; at the time I was building a new PC.

Upon looking through shelves, there's a mail-in rebate on every bit of merchandise. Which is fine, but I don't like to deal with that crap and I find it annoying.

The Dallas store had AMD motherboards galore, but later I noticed the Intel motherboards were all mATX. I was ready to buy a Core i7 CPU, an ATX board, a GTX 580, and some RAM, when the salesperson just ruined my day. So the guy walks over to me, and tries to sell me on an AMD six-core.

So yeah, it was a bad experience, what are your guys' thoughts?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
They can't display all the motherboards they carry on the shelves. You look online for what motherboard you want and usually you go to the back desk and order it and wait for it to brought from the warehouse unless you were at one of the smaller retail stores.
The mail in rebate does suck. That's why I usually get my stuff from newegg.

Motorcharge

Newegg is just as bad about the rebates. Sounds like every other big box electronics store.

I wouldn't mind the rebate things so much at places like Best Buy if they had the actual price posted in store and not the after-rebate price. Unless rebates are from the store or actual manufacturer they're rarely worth the time and effort and half the rebate companies out there don't even bother mailing you the check after all the hassle anyway.

PohTayToez

I like Newegg because they don't make such a big deal about the mail in rebates. If there is one, then it's usually mentioned in smaller print under the price, where as TigerDirect likes to advertise the price including the mail in rebate, and then when you go to the product page to see the actual price.

bengal85

I like tigerdirect more. I have found that in SOME cases newegg charges a whole lot more for their products.

I like tigerdirect more. I have found that in SOME cases newegg charges a whole lot more for their products.

I will try and check them both out online and find the cheaper price. The tigerdirect stores(Tx) here usually dont carry anything and it will need to be shipped in anyways.

AE7

I haven't actually bought something from TigerDirect since the Pentium D ages. Most of the time I use NewEgg, ZipZoomFly, and Amazon. At work we use CDW, and the prices are awful. I work in higher education, we have to use CDW-G. The 'G' means that they tack 50% on the normal price.

bengal85

I haven't actually bought something from TigerDirect since the Pentium D ages. Most of the time I use NewEgg, ZipZoomFly, and Amazon. At work we use CDW, and the prices are awful. I work in higher education, we have to use CDW-G. The 'G' means that they tack 50% on the normal price.

I forget about CDW but from what I have seen from them they are pretty pricey anyway

StrangleHold

Staff member
I order mostly from Newegg/Tiger and Superbiiz, sometimes from Mwave, who ever is the cheapest at the time. Customer service its about the same as far as on my end. Zipzoomfly is just about out of business.

Machin3

I used to buy everything from tigerdirect before i switched over to online only. The only thing that was annoying was the tax. That was the worst. They also don't have a lot of products there so its kinda disappointing. One thing they did have a lot of was their brand of Ultra products which I've heard has gotten mixed reviews.

I always say, if you don't need it right this moment, use Newegg.

Motoxrdude

I just thought of this after reading someone's post in another thread. I am curious to see what everyone thinks of TigerDirect's stores in cities across the US. I don't know if this is a new thing for TigerDirect, but this was new to me.

I have ties in the Dallas area and was visiting, and noticed the TigerDirect store from the tollway. I went to check it out, and it was the biggest disappointment ever. Immediately after walking in the store, I got attacked by the employee greeting people at the door-I would refer to him as a greeter but I think that job title requires one to be 80 years old. Anyway, I wanted to see what kind of products they had; at the time I was building a new PC.

Upon looking through shelves, there's a mail-in rebate on every bit of merchandise. Which is fine, but I don't like to deal with that crap and I find it annoying.

The Dallas store had AMD motherboards galore, but later I noticed the Intel motherboards were all mATX. I was ready to buy a Core i7 CPU, an ATX board, a GTX 580, and some RAM, when the salesperson just ruined my day. So the guy walks over to me, and tries to sell me on an AMD six-core.

So yeah, it was a bad experience, what are your guys' thoughts?
That's to be expected though. The problem with stores is that their inventory is limited due to their physical size. Also, it's a store. Their goal is to sell and they increase sales through sales associates. What did you expect? lol

AE7

That's to be expected though. The problem with stores is that their inventory is limited due to their physical size. Also, it's a store. Their goal is to sell and they increase sales through sales associates. What did you expect? lol

I didn't expect to get a personal shopping assistant from a guy that is basically chanting, "Ask me a question, Ask me a question!"

They had more AMD boards than Intel boards, and all the Intel boards were mATX. I would halfway expect the sales associates to know that there is indeed a difference in LGA1155 and LGA1156. I didn't expect to be told that the sockets are compatible.

Motoxrdude

I didn't expect to get a personal shopping assistant from a guy that is basically chanting, "Ask me a question, Ask me a question!"

They had more AMD boards than Intel boards, and all the Intel boards were mATX. I would halfway expect the sales associates to know that there is indeed a difference in LGA1155 and LGA1156. I didn't expect to be told that the sockets are compatible.
Maybe next time just shop online;)

Twist86

I admit rebates are annoying but I have not to date had a single rebate not get honored. I have sent in maybe 20-30 of them over the past 4 years and all is good. If it saves me cash I have no problem waiting 8 weeks :p

Russ88765

I've found most the time newegg is the best deal, although sometimes it's somewhere else. In the quest to get the project done for the least amount of money sometimes i'll go to various obscure sites like sabrepc if they are listed lowest. TD had my processor in at the time I had the money to get it, so I went with them for that part.