Time for a new computer

Mike_dmt

Yep, gotta get on pretty soon. Looking for a package deal with monitor/wireless mouse, keyboard, etc. Heres the deal, I am primarily interested in movies and multimedia viewing patched through to my 60" LCD as opposed to watching things in the office. A Blu-Ray writer is something I'm considering as well, a reader at the least. I already have a HDDVD player, and Blu-Ray appears to be winning the format wars, so I want one. If you couldnt tell, HD media is my focus. I dont care about a huge HDD, but I DO want a ton of RAM. Probably 3 Gigs at least, maybe more. Many of these towers Ive seen have a TV tuner built in, I dont necessarily need or even want that. As far as budget, well, it just depends. Id like to keep the total package under $1500. Best Buy has a Gateway package with 1TB HDD, 3 Gigs of RAM and a 20" flat screen for about $1400, but Ive heard bad things about Gateway. Any ideas are appreciated!

MBGraphics

VIP Member
Build your own computer!!!
way cheaper and you get to customize it to be EXACTLY the way YOU want it to be.

Mike_dmt

Yeah, I was wondering about that. My brother offered to help me, he's done it a few times. But I really dont know where to start. Where do I source the parts? What about the OS? Im sure these topics have been covered a hundred times, but I'm lazy! LOL

just a noob

vista 64 bit with 8gb of ram lol, newegg if you live in the U.S. buy a bluray/hd dvd play for $300 called an LG GCC-H20L reads standard dvd too, i believe

Last edited:

Mike_dmt

Maybe I should change MY name to noob. Im not sure what all the lingo is. Sooooo, I'm looking at newegg right now. What am I after as far as motherboard and processor combo. I have to admit I dont know what the numbers mean. Im new at looking at standalone products. Ive got a handle on the case, dvd writer/reader, RAM, and the rest of the easy stuff. Also, what OS should I look at? I've heard vista eats a ton of RAM, so whats an alternative? OR, should I just get more RAM and deal with Vista? HELP!

lucky7

i havent run vista yet but im ordering my parts for my first rig later this week(can barely contain my excitement) and im going to get vista and 4g of ram. However everyone has different views avout vista and xp(alternative windows operating system) so its really all about who u listen to. Going for combo deals is something that works in theory but really doesnt save u much money. The processor i would look at is the e8400 since everyone has been saying nothing but good things about it. A gigabyte motherboard would be a good item to run with it and maybe a decent video card. Im sure someone will make u a build soon since theres a lot of experienced nice guys around here. Good luck!

jbrown456

Vista uses more ram that XP, but the price of ram is coming down, so it's not that bad. I run it on 1GB of ram, and its actually okay. Even with 2gb, it would be really good. 3GB and up you wouldn't have any worries...

zach6490

I think most people on this forum will say Intel, they do cost a little bit more, but you get what you pay for. The current Intel Core 2 Duo processorsr are far superior to the comparable AMD's.

Mike_dmt

Ok, so does the motherboard need to match somehow? I know these are noob questions, but I'm getting more and more intersted in building my own. What about internal wireless internet? Should I just keep my modem/router setup? I do have a Xbox360 running on my wireless setup now.... So? Ive got most everything I need in my cart at newegg, and its less than $1000, minus processor and OS sooo,, this is great!

reddevil6

reddevil6

yea im sure it says (Your shopping cart is empty.

If you think this is an error, please click here for suggestions.
)