Time for a new computer

oscaryu1

VIP Member

PSU stinks - OCZ GameXStream 700W

GFX... would expect more from a 1 grand budget - EVGA 8800GT 512MB

HDD - One 500GB SATAII 16MB/32MB is enough. RAID0 is worthless IMO.

OD - You're joking. You'd be better off with a PS3 as a Blu Ray reader - Get a OEM DVD Burner.

Mike_dmt

The Blu Ray reader Ive picked is also a Blu-Ray burner for not much more. I believe HDDVD is going the way of the dodo. I own one, and around here, no one is carrying rentals hardly, let alone DVD's to buy.

Mike_dmt

Wait a sec, are you telling me that NOBODY gets a Blu-Ray burner? I could get a PS3 for not much more, but theres no games that I want for that console. Dont get me wrong, I've owned A PS1 and PS2, but have given up on them once I bought the original XBOX, and now am pleased with the 360. So, I can spend around 500 for the PS3 package, that I'll rarely use except to watch rentals on (which I'm not 100% sure about), or, a reader/burner for a little less that I can use for every DVD view/burn combo there is. Is this a bad idea? Give me some insight here. Yeah, a $50 DVD lightscribe burner sopunds great, but theres NO HD compatibility. Maybe I'm being shortsighted here, but, HD is my focus.

Talk to me a bot more on the SATA, RAID compo. Thanks again!

Mike_dmt

I have NO IDEA!!!!LOL I dont even know how to find out. Again Im at everyones mercy to help me learn. Are you guys sure I should build my own? I'm a little nervous about the whole idea to be honest. I gotta go for now, but check the items I posted from Newegg, and let me know if theres any inherent problems.

reddevil6

yes we are sure u should bild you own itis not realy that hard EG my friend knew nothink abou computer he went an asked a shop what parts he needed he then chose what he wanted an with no clue he snaped it 2gether corectly .
look it is not that hard everthink only goes in 1 way
yea thats good should get that same case but without the PSU included
will play any game, that GPU plays crysis on med settings 1024x768
as for the CPU what are u spending on it $284 E8400

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Wait a sec, are you telling me that NOBODY gets a Blu-Ray burner? I could get a PS3 for not much more, but theres no games that I want for that console. Dont get me wrong, I've owned A PS1 and PS2, but have given up on them once I bought the original XBOX, and now am pleased with the 360. So, I can spend around 500 for the PS3 package, that I'll rarely use except to watch rentals on (which I'm not 100% sure about), or, a reader/burner for a little less that I can use for every DVD view/burn combo there is. Is this a bad idea? Give me some insight here. Yeah, a $50 DVD lightscribe burner sopunds great, but theres NO HD compatibility. Maybe I'm being shortsighted here, but, HD is my focus.

Talk to me a bot more on the SATA, RAID compo. Thanks again!

I didn't mean to offend you. I'm just saying that buying that BluRay will set you back for a better system. BluRay may be the future, but it isn't right now.

And to your new build: Motherboard has 8 channel audio. Card has 5.1.

Mike_dmt

No offense taken at all. So, as a complete noob, what do you mean that the motherboard is 8 channel and the sound card is 5.1? I might upgrade that soundcard to a 7.1 even though a lot of media doesnt even support it yet (either does my speaker layout), but I'm still curious about what you mean by 8 channel.

MosIncredible

No offense taken at all. So, as a complete noob, what do you mean that the motherboard is 8 channel and the sound card is 5.1? I might upgrade that soundcard to a 7.1 even though a lot of media doesnt even support it yet (either does my speaker layout), but I'm still curious about what you mean by 8 channel.

8 channel is 7.1. Front left, front center, front right, side left, side right, back left, back right and subwoofer.

Mike_dmt

Yeah, OK, so do I still need the sound card? I know that is probably a dumb question, but I need to know if the sound card needs to be an 8 channel to match the motherboard, or what? Ok, so from what you guys have seen from my selections, which Intel processor do you recommend? And is everything I've got compatible? Oh, yeah, I've dropped the Blu-Ray burner for now, I might just wait a bit for prices to come down and the tech to move forward. Anyways, which processor?

Last edited:

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Completely your choice. You don't need another sound card if your motherboard already has one.

I live offa 7.1 Channel onboard and 2.1 Surrond Sound speakers. Serves my music/gaming very well.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Q6600 if you multitask.

E8400 if you game*

* - Requires 45nm compatible motherboard. (X38, P31, P35, 780i chipsets).