Time for a new computer?

Rollofthedice

My current computer seems to be shutting down recently, maybe once a day. It started maybe 3 weeks ago, when I would accidentally bump the tower with my leg. Now it seems to seems to shut down like once a day. Should I take it into a shop or just look for a new/used one.

Current XP desktop is 2 GHz, w/ 1GB RAM, but it's 7 years old. Also still undecided on laptop or desktop. I think all I know is that I need a 2GHz+ processor.

Any suggestions?

Bodaggit23

When was the last time you blew out the inside of the case with compressed air?

It may be dust clogged fans/heatsinks causing overheating.

That's the first thing I would check. Second would be to remove all your RAM sticks and replace them firmly, and also unplug one connection at a time and reseat them all firmly to make sure they're all plugged in properly.

Rollofthedice

Compressed air... probably the last time I had it repaired, which was maybe 3/4 years ago. I don't have an air compressor, though. What's the best way to do this?

Bodaggit23

You can buy a can of it at Walmart for about 5 bucks.

This needs to be done regularly. I do it once a month whether they need it or not.

gamblingman

VIP Member
He's the one you want, not me, him!

Are all your power cords plugged in securely? Is there anything in your power management that could be causing this, like a bad surge protector or faulty outlet at the wall? Have you tripped the GFI recently or had problems with circuit breakers at the breaker box? Etc.....

Maybe its heat. I agree, clean it an see what happens.

But hey, do NOT use an air compressor. The air you want to use to clean a computer needs to be dry air. Air compressors don't remove the moisture from the air or the oil from the compressing machinery. And instead you could end up with a really dead computer from water and/or oil.

And moreover, canned air is not really air. Its freon usually, and its free of moisture and oils. Thus it wont hurt your PC, just dont spray with the can upside-down over your open computer.

Rollofthedice

Any suggestions if I look for a new computer? Looking for 2 GHz+, Windows 7 or XP, and hopefully under $400, but I could go higher for a good deal. I normally buy everything at Wal-Mart. Should I look at other stores?

Rollofthedice

Any suggestions if I look for a new computer? Looking for 2 GHz+, Windows 7 or XP, and hopefully under $400, but I could go higher for a good deal. I normally buy everything at Wal-Mart. Should I look at other stores?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
First off, you don't need 2GHz. Processors today are tremendously more powerful and effecient than those a few years ago. You can find processors under 2GHz that outperform the Pentiums that ran over 3GHz.

Finding a "new" computer with XP is quite a strech today. Since the introduction of Windows 7, even most netbooks have migrated over to some version of 7. On top of this, manufactuers are beginning to phase out Windows XP drivers.

Walmart can have some decent deals now and then, but I'd strongly suggest getting it online. Most places offer no tax and free shipping (Amazon.com for example).

Now as for your problem... It probably is time to upgrade, but I still suspect your computer is alright. It probably needs a good cleaning. That and confirm nothing is shorting out against the case. If problems persist, a new power supply would probably solve the issues.

Rollofthedice

Thanks for the advice, it was the power supply and I think I've fixed the problem. By think I mean my computer has stayed on for 1 and a half hours now after cleaning it, when before it wouldn't even boot up all the way.

First, I cleaned out the inside of the computer and sprayed into the power supply with the compressed air, but that didn't fix it. I had to actually open the power supply and spray it and now it seems to be working. Is that how you typically have to clean it?

So I think I'll still buy a new computer sometime soon, I'll keep my eyes on the ads.

I'm glad I took pics before doing everything. I felt like MacGuyver unplugging and replugging parts since I know nothing about computer hardware. It was kind of cool.

Rollofthedice

Update - Computer lasted for 2 days then died again. Just bought a new one for $350.

Compaq CQ5320F
AMD Dual Core 2.8 GHz
500GB HD
Windows 7
3GB DDR3 RAM

Seems pretty cool so far.

Rollofthedice

What OS did you get?

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Turns out they were a little shady with the computer.

In the fine print (1) This system may require upgrade and/or separately purchased hardware and/or a DVD drive to install the Windows 7 software and take full advantage of Windows 7 functionality.

I have no idea what that means. That's a little vague. "...may...and/or..." WTF, tell me if it does or it doesn't.

Everything seems to be running good so far...

Edit: Whoops, I guess it meant just the normal autoupdates. Sorry got a little paranoid there. Thought it was a catch, something like the Windows 7 "Trial" version for the notebooks.

Last edited: