Time for a new router .. which one?

JTG2003

I've had the same Netgear router for about 5 years now. Recently I've been noticing issues.. once in a while it drops the wireless for a few seconds and the connection to other computers on the LAN seems REALLY slow! (when using a VNC to a local computer over the wireless, it takes about 10 seconds from the time I click to see a response).

I think it was a refurbished router anyways.. I'm ready for a new one. Checked out newegg but it's hard to find what I'm looking for if I don't have any idea.. just end up staring at a wall of routers.

My problem is I know almost nothing about them. We have 4 computers on the network (3 gaming PC's and one HTPC (hardlined)). Also, I think there's a Wii and an XBOX 360. I think the Wii and XBOX can only pick up wireless G (and maybe B), but I'm not sure. In either case, I know at least 2 of the PC's can pick up N.

Is it possible to get a router with 2 antennas that can broadcast two SSID's, one for G and one for N? I have DD-WRT installed on my current router and I know they had an option like that .. but it never seemed to work well. Is this an option on any routers and does it work well?

Besides that, I like to host multiplayer games on my computer, so it's nice if the configuration of port forwarding is available and done well.

I'm looking for quality more than price, but it would be nice if the price wasn't over $150 (I can't imagine it would be). As far as brand goes, I've only dealt with Netgear, Linksys, Belkin, D-Link, and Cisco.

If anyone has any recommendations, I greatly appreciate it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Wireless N routers also broadcast G signal. The wrt54gl is definately a good router. But its not N.

jspears80

It depends on your router. Usaully, if it is backwards compatible it will will indicate it on the setting your selecting. My router has wireless N access at 3 different speeds; the fastest one is not backwards compatible but the other 2 are compatible with G. It should indicate and if it doesn't then it is a gamble.

gamblingman

VIP Member
I got this as a modem/router combo because I cant see the need to have them separate. This thing is freaking awesome. It handles everything me, the wife, brothers and friends throw at it. Part of that of course is the connection speed your isp provides.

You can do everything you want with this one, but it does cost about $150(USD) new. Totally worth it I think, and honestly I will never even use all the features it has!

Motorola - SURFboard eXtreme DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless-N Cable Modem and Gigabit Router
Model: SBG6580

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I got this as a modem/router combo because I cant see the need to have them separate. This thing is freaking awesome. It handles everything me, the wife, brothers and friends throw at it. Part of that of course is the connection speed your isp provides.

You can do everything you want with this one, but it does cost about $150(USD) new. Totally worth it I think, and honestly I will never even use all the features it has!

Motorola - SURFboard eXtreme DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless-N Cable Modem and Gigabit Router
Model: SBG6580

129.99 at newegg right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122014