Time to upgrade Canon T3?

I have a Canon Rebel T3 that I bought a few years ago and still only have the 18-55 lense. Lately I have been interested in doing some streaming or recording video for YouTube and am considering using this camera or just putting my Nexus 6p on a tripod.

My hope was to get an idea of whether or not investing in lenses for this camera is worth it or if I would be better off just selling it and starting fresh. I know it is a few years old now and if DSLR cameras are anything like my cellphone they just have improved immensely. I don't want to throw money into keeping a dead platform alive.

Your thoughts are a appreciated.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
still only have the 18-55 lens
That's the most garbage lens Canon makes.

Just get a better lens. You'll be able to re-use the lens when you eventually upgrade the body. You're not doing anything with it that makes it worth buying a new body at the moment.

Good to know. I have a 50 mm f1.8 lens in my amazon wishlist. Will save up for it an look into a tripod/cell phone mount as a backup. There are just so many lens options have I am left with no idea where to start.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Good to know. I have a 50 mm f1.8 lens in my amazon wishlist. Will save up for it an look into a tripod/cell phone mount as a backup. There are just so many lens options have I am left with no idea where to start.
If the camera is going to be right next to you, you don't want a prime lens that size. You'll want something more along the lines of 10-20mm.

spirit

Staff member
I agree - new lenses make a world of difference! If you want something like the 18-55mm kit lens but want much better quality results you can get something like a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8. I know Canon makes a 17-55mm f/2.8 but it's very expensive, the Sigma and Tamron ones are much cheaper. I have the Sigma one on my Nikon D3200 and along with the Sigma 10-20mm f/4.0-5.6 it's the only lens I ever use. Very good lens indeed, much better than the Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G kit lens was in terms of everything really (image quality, sharpness, low light performance, build quality etc) so it's going to be better than the Canon kit lens too. It's nice having the option to use f/2.8 throughout the range too.

The lenses you choose though depend on the photography/video you want to do and what you require.