Time to upgrade

gorefactory

New Member
My specs: Intel core2duo e8400, XFX 680i LT mobo, Ultra 2gb dual-channel 667mhz ddr2, 550w Cooler Master extremepower, XFX 8600 gt 256mb xxx, 500gb 7200rpm WD caviar black 32mb cache.

I can run Far Cry 2 on medium settings @1920x1200 (2xAA,2xtexture filtering). My goal is to upgrade my computer to run this game maxed. I would also prefer it to be capable of 40+fps on Crysis @ 1920x1200.

I know 40/32/28nm FERMI or whatever is arriving soon. I was wondering if I should just wait it out a month or so. Can I achieve desired frame rates if I get 4gb of additional ram? Should I even consider SLI 8600gt?

My budget as of now is $150. I'm leaning towards a 9800 gtx+ 1gb on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPARKLE-NVIDIA-...emQQptZPCC_Video_TV_Cards?hash=item35a7373e04
 
i doubt that a 9800GTX will run crysis 40+fps at 1920x1200 unless you were doing lower settings maybe idk :)
 
5770 is a good choice. i have one, they are worth the money and unless you have vast amounts of cash they are the best deal in the 5000 series.
 
BFG step up

I prefer an nvidia since I have a board that was designed for them. Though Linkin, you have a board similar to mine, and don't seem to have any problems...

Right now I don't have the funds to play how I really want to. The biggest reason I lean towards an Nvidia card is the BFG video card trade-ins. That way I can get SOMETHING for now and won't end up loosing money when I get a card that I really want. If they don't accept my trade-in or if I'm not even applicable, I can always use a BFG for dedicated physx. I now think I should go with a gts 250 1gb:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143211
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143211R

One comes with a game coupon and the other is an open box deal, do you think I won't be eligible for the 100-day step up program with either of these? I wanna go with this card for now and upgrade to the FERMI architecture later with BFG's step up program. Sound like a winner?
 
Last edited:
Will I be able to use my old 8600gt as a physx card along with a gts 250 as the main card? Would I see noticeable fps increase in physx-enabled games if I took the time to do this?
 
I would wait for the GTX400 series (Fermi), too many DX11 games are coming out this year and if you buy a 200 series you are just throwing money away. If you can afford it, i would by a 5850.

Get an XFX one, becuase you get double lifetime warranty, and sometimes a free game. (if you decide to sell the card and get a differet one, the second owner of the 5850 has full lifetime warranty)

EDIT: If getting a fermi card, get XFX too. the double lifetime warranty applies to all their cards, not just ATI or nVidia
 
Fermi

I was planning to wait and just game old school style for a while. BUT the word about BFG's trade-up got me thinkin I could get away with buying a crap card now and not lose a dime when I go to upgrade to FERMI! Thoughts on this specifically? Or should I just get on the phone with BFG's customer service and ask them about all this?
 
Back
Top