Timeframe of burning DVDs

renegade X

Hi all.

I have a DVD that I have shrunk with Dvdshrink. When I burn it with Nero, it takes forever. I have had no problems making a DVD with just regular MPEG files, but I think it is hanging up when transcodeing in Nero (step before burning). I decided to see if it just takes awhile, but I had it run for almost 16 hours. LOL I forgot about it.

DVD burner works fine. Using AMD64, so it shouldnt creep toooo bad.

DaShit

after you use dvd shrink it should just burn with nero and only take like 5 mins. , no encoding or whatever.....

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
but I had it run for almost 16 hours. LOL I forgot about it.
hehe welcome to the world of DVD encoding lol, depending on the hardware that IS about how long it will take to do the encode. For reference sake, what hardware do you have? QUESTIONS 101.

renegade X

after you use dvd shrink it should just burn with nero and only take like 5 mins. , no encoding or whatever.....

When I click on the option for burn with Nero, it directs me to a web page??? And I have Nero 6 installed. What can I do for that?

what hardware do you have?

MSI K8Neo4 Socket 939
AMD64 3200+, 2.01 GHz
512MB RAM
300W Power supply
Memorex 16x Dual Layer DVD Writer
No PCI express card yet (Using a temp PCI video card 4MB)

Wait, the video card isn't the problem is it?? It did some transcoding for the MPEG DVD that I made, but maybe that does not count.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
When I click on the option for burn with Nero, it directs me to a web page??? And I have Nero 6 installed. What can I do for that?
I have no idea. Are you using the demo?

Wait, the video card isn't the problem is it?? It did some transcoding for the MPEG DVD that I made, but maybe that does not count.
No, it's a CPU task. Now Im surprised to hear it takes 16hrs to do that and even for Nero I would have expected the machine to finish within 8hrs. I would give TMPGEnc a try out, if not for any reason other than a speed benchmark. Take a "normal" movie 1.5-2hrs and encode it using the wizard to M2V/MP2 or M2V/WAV ... shouldnt take you more than 2-2.5 hrs (for reference, I had A64-3500, 1GB a few months ago and for 1.5-2hr source movies, it took 1:45-2:20 minutes to encode in TMPGEnc)

You can get TMPGEnc here

DaShit

uhh....it's been a long time since i've used dvd shrink but try to just specify a folder for dvd shrink to output the .vob files and whatnot to, then when it ask if you want to burn it with nero or what ever just close out of dvd shrink then open up nero smartstart and select the option to burn DVD VIDEO FILES, then when the window comes up just move everything from the folder that you chose for dvdshrink to use to the burning window, then just burn it...
hope that works;)

EDIT: and like praetor said, your trial might be up if your using the trial version of nero

renegade X

Nero:

I am using the disk that came with the burner, had serial number included.

16hr burn process:

After 16 hours, it still was not complete, I am pretty sure it was hung up and never went to the burn process. Should I try a DVDR instead of a DVDRW?

suprasteve

could help but not likely to be the problem, try selecting your dvd drive as the output for the files dvdshrink does its thing with, if nero is installed and working correctly, it'll take only a few minutes to burn, dunno if someone else already mentioned that, but it mighta been buried in there somewhere.

DaShit

hey, or you could just go to afterdawn.com and they have all kinds of toturials about burning/encoding dvds;)

flip218

VIP Member
Can you give an honest answer on how long it takes with nero? And it will take longer than 5 min. If I remember even burning at 16x (which is just stupid) will take at least 8 minutes. For me on average burning time is 14-18 minutes

suprasteve

When I used to burn at 4x with my old comp, it would take 15-17 minutes, now it doesn't tell me what speed I'm burning at (8x I'm 99% sure) but it takes like 7 to 10 minutes