Tired of ATT home phone service. What can I do?

Frank Mitchell

I recently received my ATT home phone (landline) bill. It is now costing me $74 per month. This is outrageous as my cell bill is only $45. I keep my landline because I live out in the country and my cell service (T-Mobile) is often spotty. I also send / receive faxes once in awhile.

I know that VOIP is available but which one is the best? I tried Ooma a few years ago and found that it was not good and did not work for me.

Any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What type of internet do you have? What internet speed do you get? I've used magic jack for the last 10 years or so and have had very few problems with it. Roughly 40 bucks a year. You can port your current att number over as well.

mtb211

I recently received my ATT home phone (landline) bill. It is now costing me $74 per month. This is outrageous as my cell bill is only $45. I keep my landline because I live out in the country and my cell service (T-Mobile) is often spotty. I also send / receive faxes once in awhile.

I know that VOIP is available but which one is the best? I tried Ooma a few years ago and found that it was not good and did not work for me.

Any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
I could recommend a few things for you. Are you in the states? As John wrote you will want to have QoS setup and make sure your upload is decent

Trizoy

VIP Member
How about cancel both, and get cell service with good coverage in your area. You'll still save money overall. Then use an internet Fax service.

beers

Staff member
I feel like POTS is being priced out of the market so the vendor doesn't have to maintain that technology anymore.

Otherwise you might be able to roll an internet based cellular repeater for your residence, but it would depend what WAN options you're using as well. Faxes are archaic and I would suggest finding more modern exchange solutions.