To Overclock or not to overclock that is the question

spsfinest212

I have a Dell Studio 540 and it came with a Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 cpu and I was wondering if it would be a dumb idea to try and overclock it considering it has stock cooling?

Stoic Sentinel

Well, you could try overclocking, but I would suggest you buy a separate fan if you want to do some serious over-clocking. You don't want your CPU to overheat ;)

Twist86

I would wait...Q8200 is a nice chip even though it has low cache but that is about the end for the 775 socket...the best upgrade would be a Q9450/Q9550/Q9650 which will cost $220+.

I would either save up and build your own PC (CF users can help too) or buy a all ready built system....just stay away from HP/Dell/Gateway/etc

Last edited:

kkpudge7

You would need a new motherbard to overclock. And the Q8200 doesn't clock very well, so it wouldn't really benefit you much to buy new parts to OC. And yes you are correct, it isn't a very good idea to overclock on stock cooling. I would either keep what you have and save for something new, or sell current computer and build a Q9550 or i7 build.