To stay with PC or switch to MAC...that is the question!

Jenny

I am a girl embarrassed to go buy a computer because I don't really know much! Please help! I urgently need to buy a new laptop and I'd like to make an informed decision! 2 questions really:

1. I am considering the big switch to a MAC, but I have never used one and heard I would experience difficulty sync-ing in to my home network already in place (printers, scanner, wireless router etc, already connected to PCs), difficulty buying and updating software.

I would need it for:

small home business applications (mostly Office applications)
big memory, fast
downloads (more music than anything else)
easily portable (6 lbs or less)
dvd/cdr
perhaps some dabbling with computer design (but I am aware I need a much more powerful computer if I want to do this seriously)

I don't know much at all about software programs, compatability. The question really is is it worth it to make the switch, as I really don't want and wouldn't be able to deal with a lot of fiddling.

2. If you don't recommend a MAC, then can you recommend a good PC that fulfills my requirements looks nice as well!

ANY COMMENTS OR HELP AT ALL WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANKS!

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I don't recommend switching to Mac. If you're confortable with PCs, then you'll be unconfortable with MACs because the GUI is (almost) completely different (despite the fact that more and more Windowsish stuff is implemented in it).
Besides networking PCs and MACs together is not so simple and could be unstable.

lynx6200

I think it highly depends on personal prefrence and what you want to do with the systems. you just need to keep the different limitiations of a MAC and PC in mind. For one, there is not as much software avaliable for MACs, and like Lorand said, the GUI (graphical user interface) is a bit different. Both interfaces I think however, are fairly simple to use. People say a mac is better for photos and graphics using things like adobe photoshop. With the things you mentioned you want to do, you can do all that on a Mac or PC, the only trouble may be getting it to hook up on your PC network.

Let us know if you have other questions.

sabre

My opinion, and for the sake of your requirements, a mac. Ibook would suit you well. However, if you were willing to spend a little more for a Powerbook, I would take over the Ibook. I have used many of each. Very very nice laptops, very fast, extremely portable. In my opinion, the most portable laptop. You will have no problem syncing with your home network, printers, etc. You can share files between mac and pc - windows machines.

Jenny

PC it is then, I think!

Ok, after all that great input (thanks a lot everyone who posted), I think I will stick with a PC, simply because of the networking problems I might come across. And as a friend pointed out to me, the main reason I was looking at an Ibook is because it's simply beautiful!

Ok, so now I have made that decision, can anyone suggest top ultraportable, fast and reliable (ie, I heard Sony Viaos, or however you spell it, tend to have problems early on) laptops, or even brand of laptop in a general sense. My budget is USD1850. (suggestions in that general price range...they may be cheaper/more expensive here in Beijing).

THANKS!

What do you think of these?

http://reviews.cnet.com/Fujitsu_LifeBook_P7010D/4535-3121_7-30974700.html?tag=top

http://reviews.cnet.com/Compaq_Presario_V4000/4505-3121_7-31394071.html?tag=cnetfd.sd

Last edited:

Jenny

AMD64, funnily enough, I was checking the Averatec website when I saw your message, I've read the reviews on cnet, and according to users, these computers "stink". No customer service, no battery life, over heating, freezing...a plethora of problems....

ilovefishsticks

MACs suck, go pc, if you know nothing about pc's, order one of ibuypower.com, if you do, buy parts off newegg, tigerdirect, zipzoomfly, ect. and build a pc.. :p

lynx6200

As far as the review you posted, i like the Fujitsu Lifebook, we have those at work. they are realy nice, small, light, and powerful, and the battry life last almost 6 hours if your not doing cpu intensive tasks. They are ultra portable. The screen and keyboard layout are a bit small, but thats something you can get used to, and you could just increase the resolution.

Geoff

VIP Member
ilovefishsticks said:
MACs suck, go pc, if you know nothing about pc's, order one of ibuypower.com, if you do, buy parts off newegg, tigerdirect, zipzoomfly, ect. and build a pc.. :p

If I were her, i wouldnt custom build a laptop on ibuypower.com, i would go with a dell, hp, ect.

And she wants a laptop, not a desktop, and since shedoesnt know much about computers, she couldnt make her own.

Jenny

Ok, narrowing down the field...

Ok, I've gone to the computer mall, and these are the two that I'm really interested in...what do you think, how do they compare, and are they competetively priced? PS. all these specs are in chinese, I've translated them...I hope it makes sense!

1. SAMSUNG Q30 (not available in the US, according to Cnet) USD 2040

Centrino Intel PM733 (Dothan 1.1G)
512M/40G
External cd drive
12.1 inch WXGA screen
0.9kg weight
Windows XP home edition
1yr intl warranty, 3 yr in China warranty
probably free 256 USB and and one of those ball shaped cameras
internal wireless modem

2. FUJITSU LifeBook P7010 (white, special edition) USD 1854

Centrino Intel Pentium M Processor (1.1GHz, 1MB l2 Cache, 400MHz FSB)
Wicrosoft Windows home edition
10.6 inch screen, SZGA TFT, 1280 * 768 pixels
DVD/CR-RW
512 MB/60GB
7.5 hr battery life
1.4 kg
RealTek ALC203 codec Sound card
Intel Extreme Graphics 2 Graphics card
Built in wireless modem
1yr intl warranty, 3 yr in CHina

3. FUJITSU LifeBook P7010 (blackish grey) USD 1792

Centrino Intel Pentium M Processor 1.1GHz
Micrrosoft XP Professional Edition
10.6 inch screen
512 MB RAM/80GB
All the same as above

Other questions:

Is there a big difference between Windows XP Home and Professional?

40GB/60GB/80GB???? I guess I should ask if it's possible to upgrade the SAMSUNG, since 40GB is too low, right? Makes a diifererence to the speed right?

Thanks so so so much, you guys have been really helpful!

DanLatimer

the amount of hard disk space wont make a difference with the speed as long as you have aout 10% of your Hard drive empty. and if you need to you could get an external hard drive that will plug into a usb slot. and no the differences between home and pro are very small either one will do doesnt really matter

computerhakk

VIP Member
if you like mac because its pretty? then why not get a pc since you are already familiar with it? there are some pretty nifty stuff you can do to it... if ur interested you can PM on how.. im not sure if i can post it here.. so just to be on the safe side..

flame1117

banned
Also just to add, dont NOT get a AMD becuase it has Lower frequceys(Ghz) you said you didn't know to much about PC's sop I thought I'd throw that at you. Its not all about the Ghz. Although if your case I dont really think it would be better or worse to get a intel or AMD. generaly intel is for multitasking and people say video editing and things like that, and amd for gaming.

It doesn't sound to much like there will much much gaming involved, and no huge stuff like video editing, but maybe lots of multitasking?Intel like it seems all the choices you make already are anyways mght be a little better.

I just though i'd add some info about the CPU's Incase you were wanting them purely for the higher clock speed.

Also Hard drive space doesn't have to do with speed much, that is where it stores the programs and e verything you install, you can install more things with a bigger one though, more music too, if you are a BIG music user.

I might sugest getting 1GIG of ram in there two, you can just buy another stick of 512MB and its one of the simplest things to install, besides a USB port external harddrive heehee. and this WILL effect the speed for the better.

Last edited:

sabre

ilovefishsticks said:

Really ? What's your basis ? How many macs and pcs have you worked with. Give a reason for your statement at least.

Anyways, The lifebooks are nice laptops. Also, getting a mac would not lead to networking problems. Its extremely easy as a matter of fact.