Tomato router - USB NAS drive has missing files that should be there

halomaster

My config:
Netgear R7000 with Tomato Shibby firmware 1.40
Windows 7 PC
USB external drive, ExFAT file system. plugged into USB 3.0 port of router. Used as a NAS.

I can access the USB drive from the "network" tab inside Windows Explorer (as SMB share). It shows all the folders and files that are in the drive.

However, I recently plugged the USB drive directly to my Windows PC, and I added some new folders (with files inside them) onto the root directory of the drive. Then plugged the USB drive onto the router. Windows (from network tab) would see the new folders, but the folders appear as empty upon opening it. The folder properties list it as empty too.

When I plug the USB drive directly onto my PC again, I can see all the files inside the aforementioned folders.

When the drive was plugged to my PC, I then created some folders (with text files inside them), then put them in the root directory of the drive. Then I plugged the drive to the router. Same issue...the folders appear, but the contents inside the folders are empty from the "network" tab, then everything appears when the drive is plugged into the PC.

I have to reiterate that the older files (the ones that were visible before) are still visible now. The problem is the new files that are not appearing.

How do I get Tomato router to show the hidden files inside the new folders?

beers

Staff member
That sounds kind of odd. Maybe a permissions issue?

Can you see the files through command line when logging into the router as root?

If not you could try a fsck on the volume

halomaster

I access the router via WinSCP, and I am not able to access the files. The folder displays as empty. I went into the "samba" folder inside the router, and I erased everything inside the folder in hopes of fixing the issue. It did not fix anything.

EDIT: from WinSCP, I moved a text file to the "empty" folder. Then the folder did not appear empty anymore; it had the text file inside.

I unplugged the USB drive from the router and plugged it into my computer. aforementioned text file did not appear in the folder, but the "hidden" files were visible again.

I plugged the USB drive to the router again, and the text file appeared again, but that was the only file there.

Last edited: