Too hot, or bad reading

Kieth8

So, I got my first notebook about a week ago, it's an ASUS K50AB, the specs are:

CPU: AMD Turion x2 RM-75
Graphics Card: Dedicated HD 4570 512 MB memory
RAM: 4 GB DDR2
HD: 320 GB
Windows 7
DvD super multi
Wireless 802.11n
15.6" HD/LED screen

I'm using CPU ID hardware monitor for temp reading, and its got me worried.
When I'm just browsing the web and stuff like that the temps for cpu can get up to 70 C, and GPU also gets to that. Under load(when I'm playing a game) the temp has gotten up to 85 C for CPU and 82 C for GPU.

THe laptop is new, I am wondering if these temps are safe, and if they aren't, what could I do to lower them(and I can't take apart the laptop). It has never crashed, and seems stable at these temps.

Screenshot of temp program:
4260318596_68b43259f7_o.jpg

Stoic Sentinel

I think the Turions run hotter than most, but 79C seems a bit much. Check in the BIOS and see if it reads the same thing. Iirc, the Turion's idle temps are ~60C

Stoic Sentinel

How do I check the bios?

When you turn on your computer, there should be a little flicker of a message that tells you what key to press to enter BIOS. In most cases, it's the "Delete" key. Be advised that the BIOS temp reading isn't always accurate. Try downloading another temp reader like Everest or Speedfan.

Kieth8

I might of found the problem, I lifted it up to find where the vents are and there are 3 underneath the thing, well, I had it laying on my lap. Now it's on a desk and the temp has went from 80 C to 76 C in under a minute, the game was still running in the background, too.

Kieth8

When you turn on your computer, there should be a little flicker of a message that tells you what key to press to enter BIOS. In most cases, it's the "Delete" key. Be advised that the BIOS temp reading isn't always accurate. Try downloading another temp reader like Everest or Speedfan.

Going to try out speedfan real quick, i'll post readings when I'm done.

Stoic Sentinel

I might of found the problem, I lifted it up to find where the vents are and there are 3 underneath the thing, well, I had it laying on my lap. Now it's on a desk and the temp has went from 80 C to 76 C in under a minute, the game was still running in the background, too.

Lol, well there's always that :rolleyes: :D

Going to try out speedfan real quick, i'll post readings when I'm done.

Can you close the stuff running in the background so we can get a idle temperature?

Kieth8

Speedfan gets the exact same temp reading, so I guess they are both right. Should I leave the fan automated or use speedfan, since I closed the game cpu temp is down to 62 C. FAns aren't running

Kieth8

All that was running in the background was winrar (it wasn't doing anything), CPU usage is: USER: around 10%, KERNAL: around 10% also.
Closed everything but firefox and the temp reader, CPU is hovering around 65 C

Stoic Sentinel

Oh, and just leave the fan speed at automated, don't mess with it in Speedfan. I usually just use it to read temps, so no, don't change anything.