Too many fans?

MixedLogik

I have One 120 fan on the back side of my case, below my PSU. My Processor fan, and recently yesterday, I started a little project by salvaging a Athlon XP fan and attaching it to the vents on the side of my case. I saw a signifcant difference in the temps
Before CPU Temp - 83F
After CPU Temp - 77F

Before Mainboard Temp - 101F
After Mainboard Temp - 91.4F

Kornowski

VIP Member
1 PSU fan
1 GPU fan
1 Front fan
2 Side fans
1 Rear fan
1 CPU cooler

I've got 7 fans... not too many :p

34c idle, 50c load.

PC eye

banned
I have One 120 fan on the back side of my case, below my PSU. My Processor fan, and recently yesterday, I started a little project by salvaging a Athlon XP fan and attaching it to the vents on the side of my case. I saw a signifcant difference in the temps
Before CPU Temp - 83F
After CPU Temp - 77F

Before Mainboard Temp - 101F
After Mainboard Temp - 91.4F

Is that all? :p When moving the present from the old compact style case with only an 80mm top and rear fan seeing 46-48C idle board temps with 44-46C for the cpu into the present case what was the result? With the two fans that came with case alone the board suddenly was seeing 31C with the cpu temp down to 33C! The 140mm front intake fan has alot to do with this plus having the larger 120mm rear fan. There were no front or side vents even on the old case.

The new power distribution plus more features on the newer board also generated more heat. The serious lack of air flow with the old case used for a Socket A board is like many cases were getting that cooler air into the case to replace the heated is the main obstacle. Just simply changing the case did far more then the make and model cpu cooler to see temps drop that fast.

Burgerbob

i have too many fans...
5 case fans
1 PSU
1 CPU
1 Northbridge
1 Vcard
1 HDD cooler
But thank god, i need them. It gets a little warm around here (topped out at 101 today, luckily).

oscaryu1

VIP Member
QUESTION 1 -Does playing Halo at max settings count as full load? The Spire is doing great for me right now...

QUESTION 2 - My board temps have always been cooler than my cpu. On all of my computers ... (23)

Question 2 doesnt have an question mark but oh well :D

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
My 3100 + Sempron runs around those temps also :/ It may be because its overclock, But im sure a new heatsink would help

yeah mine isnt overclocked,I cant anyway so im stuck at 2Ghz:D.

my cpu temp got to 61c today on load:eek:

Does anyone know if you can set the CPU fan to stay on 100% all the time?

It always goes back to 40% speed on boot up so i have to start speedfan and set it to 100% or my temps go high:cool:

PC eye

banned
hey PC eye so you're saying that your cooling runs from basically from corner to corner right? haha that's just like mine XD

The replacement for the AeroCool AreoEngine 2 model seen at http://www.xoxide.com/aerocool-aeroengine-2-black.html will be the Antec Nine Hundred model caught onsale that will have two 120mm for the front to replace the single 140mm. While not seeing two 120s on the side cover the Antec offers a large 200mm on the top for exhaust. :eek: Egads! Plus it even has a tray for things like web cams and other items. But that air flow will still be good. :D

yeah mine isnt overclocked,I cant anyway so im stuck at 2Ghz:D.

my cpu temp got to 61c today on load:eek:

Does anyone know if you can set the CPU fan to stay on 100% all the time?

It always goes back to 40% speed on boot up so i have to start speedfan and set it to 100% or my temps go high:cool:

Bypassing the board and providing direct power to the fan would be the way to see that done. You then lose the board's ability to monitor the cpu fan and sound an alert if the rpms are too low or the fan quits on you. Are you running a stock hsf or 3rd party cpu cooler there? For the newer lines of both Intel and AMD cpus the max temp seen on most is betweein 60-70C. In other words you are kind of cooking the cpu there.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Hmm... I'm thinking about adding clip-on memory fans. My memory always gets hot to the touch.. maybe thats why I cant overclock that much (in my sig)? One of the RAM pieces has an heatsink.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bypassing the board and providing direct power to the fan would be the way to see that done. You then lose the board's ability to monitor the cpu fan and sound an alert if the rpms are too low or the fan quits on you. Are you running a stock hsf or 3rd party cpu cooler there? For the newer lines of both Intel and AMD cpus the max temp seen on most is betweein 60-70C. In other words you are kind of cooking the cpu there.

yeah i thought about that but like you said i couldnt monitor the fan if it dies:cool:

im running the stock HSF that came with the system...note this system is about 4 years old and i havnt changed the thermal compound stuff since:D
so you think that my cpu temp on load is slowly killing my cpu?
sometimes it can reach 62c if i dont set it to 100% but when i do set it to 100% my cpu temp is around 45-47c on load.

PC eye

banned
Are you running an older Intel PIII or P4 system or an AMD Socket A board? Either way the older cpus had more room for higher temps while seeing 60C+ is still not good. Many older cpus saw the 85C or 90C max temp and then would quit. The newer cpus seen now use less power and run cooler with a lower max there.

For a stock haf seeing the high 40s and into the mid 50s with a good load is typical unfortunately. This is one reason why the 3rd cpu coolers are becoming popular for older systems as well as the new ones built to see those temps kept down. This will of course extend the life of hardwares. The one thing to note about ocing hardwares even while having low temps is the stresses still placed on them. People wonder why they end up seeing ptoblems there despite having low temps.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you running an older Intel PIII or P4 system or an AMD Socket A board? Either way the older cpus had more room for higher temps while seeing 60C+ is still not good. Many older cpus saw the 85C or 90C max temp and then would quit. The newer cpus seen now use less power and run cooler with a lower max there.

For a stock haf seeing the high 40s and into the mid 50s with a good load is typical unfortunately. This is one reason why the 3rd cpu coolers are becoming popular for older systems as well as the new ones built to see those temps kept down. This will of course extend the life of hardwares. The one thing to note about ocing hardwares even while having low temps is the stresses still placed on them. People wonder why they end up seeing ptoblems there despite having low temps.

yes a Socket A Sempron 2800+....some older cpus have reached 90c:eek:

wow lol:D

I need to sort out my cpu cooler:cool:

PC eye

banned
What you will probably need is a Zalman 7000b with a good tube of Artic Silver to replace the worn out and hardened up thermal pad the stock hsfs come with. The one vulnerability the older Socket As have is temp factor before they cook and backclock or simply go doa. The last build saw an Atholon XP3200 cook when a fan quit on the Scythe cooler used and backclock to an XP2500 cpu? That explains why the 2500 was the favored for ocing in the older Atholon line.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
What you will probably need is a Zalman 7000b with a good tube of Artic Silver to replace the worn out and hardened up thermal pad the stock hsfs come with. The one vulnerability the older Socket As have is temp factor before they cook and backclock or simply go doa. The last build saw an Atholon XP3200 cook when a fan quit on the Scythe cooler used and backclock to an XP2500 cpu? That explains why the 2500 was the favored for ocing in the older Atholon line.

hmm that Zalman 7000b looks good,But are you sure thats a Socket A cooler?

This is the Zalman 7000b accoding to Google images

http://herencia2.free.fr/Ideq/zalman2.jpg

PC eye

banned
Compatibility:
  • Intel:
    • P4 LGA775 - All Speeds (With Optional Clip Available Below)
    • P4 478 Willamette - All Speeds
    • P4 478 Northwood - All Speeds
    • P4 478 Prescott - All Speeds
  • AMD:
    • Duron 462 – All Speeds
    • Athlon 462 Thunderbird
    • Athlon XP 462 Palomino – All Speeds
    • Athlon XP 462 Thoroughbred – All Speeds
    • Athlon XP 462 Barton – All Speeds
    • Athlon 64 754 – All Speeds
    • Athlon 64 939 – All Speeds
    • Athlon 64 FX 939 – All Speeds
    • Athlon 64 FX 940 – All Speeds
    • Opteron 940 – All Speeds
http://www.xoxide.com/zalman-7000b-cu-led-cpu-cooler.html
I thinkest them Socket As are covered there! :p Even an old AMD T-Bird too!

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Compatibility:
  • Intel:
    • P4 LGA775 - All Speeds (With Optional Clip Available Below)
    • P4 478 Willamette - All Speeds
    • P4 478 Northwood - All Speeds
    • P4 478 Prescott - All Speeds
  • AMD:
    • Duron 462 – All Speeds
    • Athlon 462 Thunderbird
    • Athlon XP 462 Palomino – All Speeds
    • Athlon XP 462 Thoroughbred – All Speeds
    • Athlon XP 462 Barton – All Speeds
    • Athlon 64 754 – All Speeds
    • Athlon 64 939 – All Speeds
    • Athlon 64 FX 939 – All Speeds
    • Athlon 64 FX 940 – All Speeds
    • Opteron 940 – All Speeds
http://www.xoxide.com/zalman-7000b-cu-led-cpu-cooler.html
I thinkest them Socket As are covered there! :p Even an old AMD T-Bird too!

awesome thanks,Its Pure Copper aswell:D
should be good,I might see if i can get that one depending on how much they cost in stores over here in the uk....Uk is one big tax ripoff:cool:

PC eye

banned
I still have one here for the old case IF? I can ever locate another XP3200 to get it running again. A match pair of DDR400 Corsair xms series 512mb dimms sits aside for the rime being until I reassemble it again. Everything else but the cpu works like a charm. Just one dumb cpu cooler fan quit to see the cpu there cook. :(

When that was first seen the Zalman was ordered fast but a dollar short and a day late is the best expression. Would it work on Socket A was the first thing looked at. The models for the newer 939/AM2/Core 2 Duo-Extreme are those like the CNPS9500 and 9700 models that blow heated air horizontally across the board rather then facing upward as seen there.