Torn between laptop and desktop

bigd54

Can't really make a decsion. Maybe it would help if someone put together a terrific build for me, around $1300. Im sure you guys get tired of this but it would be apprciated.:D No need for a monitor.

daisymtc

Approx. $1300 from newegg
Intel Q9450
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4
CORSAIR 2 x 2GBDDR2 800 TWIN2X4096-6400C5
POWERCOLOR AX4870 512MD5-H Radeon HD 4870 512MB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB
SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q/BEBN - OEM
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W
Cooler Master CM690
Vista Premium 64bit OEM

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I'd go with a desktop unless you need the portability because I still prefer desktops for gaming.

kookooshortman55

Laptops are only good if you plan on using them for what they're made for. If you want to use the computer to carry around the house and basically have it follow you everywhere. If not, get a desktop. They're typically cheaper, better for gaming, much more upgradable, and you never have to worry about the battery.

Mez

And if you want a portable PC that you can move around the house you kind build a LANBOX computer =]

concorde

emanaatlarge - desktop all the way

Agree!

Desktop are infinite in their purposes and are cheaper. They last longer too. If you are into multimedia, gaming or graphic design, you have no other choice than a desktop. Laptops, no matter what their manufacturers claim, are intended for light use - office apps, email, and internet (and maybe music playing) - however, people do all these things and then some AND they use it as a primary machine - not a good idea. And since you'd be taking it places, there would be a time where it'd get
abused by, for example, loading the cargo on the plane or having the machine slide off your lap. Also, if something goes wrong, say the integrated video on the motherboard dies or the inverter is shot (onthe LCD) - it would be cheaper and more cost effective to just toss it. So, unless you travel often and need your My Documents to tag along:p - then you should just go with a desktop.

concorde

HEAT kills laptops - that's why they die quicker than a well-built desktop. You cannot have heatsinks and fans galore in a laptop machine - and yes, laptops often have desktop CPUs :( so therefore, heat is going to crash the machine often. For example, a desktop has a thick heatsink for the CPU and a powerful, good fan. On a laptop, the heatsink and fan, if there's one at all, is the same thing used on northbridge chips which aren't as hot as a CPU in general, but still need cooling.
Also, like I said before, the proprietary parts - the motherboard, sometimes the optical drive, the keyboard - can't be used in a different machine. So much for cannibalizing - something you could do with desktops (generally speaking, but this is becoming less and less true). NO upgrading is possible besides the hard drive and the memory and MAYBE the processor.