Toshiba Qosmio Laptop Screen Goes Black.

Unfortunately I just purchased this laptop off of craigslist and I have been having issues with the screen turning black. It will boot in to windows, I have had it run idle for about 12 hours without a problem, however it always goes black. All the lights stay on and the fans are still spinning, I believe it to be the LCD inverter. Just wondering what you guys thought might be the issue?

Also if it is the LCD inverter would I be able to hook the laptop to an external LCD monitor and have it work?

Yeah, whats weird is that I had it connected to the television with an HDMI cable and it was fine runnning idle at the desktop display screen and about 2 minutes after using it the screen went black again and it lost the HDMI signal. The lights were still on that were showing it was charging.

Yeah I already changed all the functions to make it so it doesn't go to stand by mode. I opened it up and put new thermal paste on the gpu and the cpu. I figure the motherboard or the video card is probably bad.

I can reopen it however I went through a step by step guide on how to dismantle the laptop and made sure I reconnected everything properly. These issues were happening before dismantling the computer.

Video Card is a Nvidia geforce 9700mgts

I will reopen it and make sure everything is properly connected. The last time it shut off it sounded like a hard shut off like as if I had pressed the power button and it had not done so before.