Toshiba Satellite T1960CT: Worth resurrecting?

Chris Chan

I just got this lappy from a friend for Christmas; her dad found it in an abandoned rental house. It's a 486DX2/50 with 4MB (I think; this sounds a little low) RAM and a 320MB hard disk (dead; neither my Windows nor Linux boxes could mount it). I was thinking to replace the power adapter (he couldn't find it) and replace the hard disk with a CompactFlash card, then throw either Windows 3.1 or Linux on it and keep it around as a little word-processor and trinket. Is it worth doing this? A power adapter would cost around $50, and a CF card + adapter around $30. Or should I just part it out on ebay?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I personally wouldn't invest any money in it. The thing can't even run Windows 98. I'm sure you could find a working laptop for the amount you'd spend getting that one working. I mean I have a 300MHz one in the closet I could even sell for cheap; it just needs a hard drive. Plus youre talking about spending about $80. I'm selling my Averatec for $200!

Chris Chan

What's the specs on that 300MHz one, and would you sell it for $80? I have a 40GB laptop HDD laying around that I could put in it. (Which is way too big to put into a 486, do they even have LBA?!) Oh well, here comes parting out a probably working yet horribly obsolete lappy. [sob]

The_Other_One

VIP Member
It's an IBM Thinkpad (I forget the exact model)
Pentium 300MHz
64MB RAM
CD-ROM
Floppy drive
Soundcard
Battery's shot, but works fine off AC
The a ribbon broke for the touch-stick so it requires an external mouse.

Typically I only use it for recovering data and all on 2.5" disks, but I have other methods of doing it, so the laptop's not really nessesary to have around. If you're interested in it or my Averatec(which someone else is but I've yet to get the PM finalizing the deal...) just send me a PM