Toshiba

domcole_uk

Have a fairly old Toshiba here, millenium edition. Screen doesnt work. Even when running off full battery and/or mains it turns off.

Any ideas please?

Starman*

If you don't have any history about how it stopped working it will be very difficult to find the problem. You can connect the vga output to another monitor and see that the graphics etc are working. If that is OK, the display problem could be anything from defective electronics to broken wires. Open the case and have a peek for starters.

Starman*

domcole_uk

If you don't have any history about how it stopped working it will be very difficult to find the problem. You can connect the vga output to another monitor and see that the graphics etc are working. If that is OK, the display problem could be anything from defective electronics to broken wires. Open the case and have a peek for starters.

Starman*

Right,

I have done that and the graphics are really strange

Starman*

So the graphics are "strange" when displayed on another monitor. What kind of strange? Low res colour, garbled picture, flying cows?

The laptop monitor shows no activity or light of any kind?

Does the laptop boot up OK? If not where does it hang? If it does boot what sort of picture do you get? If you can't get that far have you tried booting in Safe Mode? If that works, what do you see (describe in more detail than "strange")?

In your first post you referred to "it turns off". Was that referring to the laptop or the display? If the laptop turns off, check the screensaver and power management options to see if the shutdown time is very short - assuming you can get to the display.

I'm away for the next 5 days (burglars please feed the cat). Hopefully someone else will butt in to help.

Starman*

domcole_uk

So the graphics are "strange" when displayed on another monitor. What kind of strange? Low res colour, garbled picture, flying cows?

The laptop monitor shows no activity or light of any kind?

Does the laptop boot up OK? If not where does it hang? If it does boot what sort of picture do you get? If you can't get that far have you tried booting in Safe Mode? If that works, what do you see (describe in more detail than "strange")?

In your first post you referred to "it turns off". Was that referring to the laptop or the display? If the laptop turns off, check the screensaver and power management options to see if the shutdown time is very short - assuming you can get to the display.

I'm away for the next 5 days (burglars please feed the cat). Hopefully someone else will butt in to help.

Starman*

Cheers starman,

Ok in more detail this time.

Turning off:

Even when 100% battery and connected to the mains the laptop turns off completly and I have to charge it up again. It usually lasts 2 mins or so, no more than 5.

Screen:

No flying cows! The picture is low res I think it is and not sharp. If I press function and the monitor symbol I can get a quick flash of the distorted screen. It doesnt crash however.

Cheers.

domcole_uk

Gone in to repair 2 day!! Had loads of corruped hard drive. Dont know about the screen, getting a new one tho!! :D

Starman*

I'm not sure what the last message means - no further input required on the problem?

As it happened while I was away I fixed a Toshiba with poor display. Combination of brightness setting and sorting out the resume function. The resume was not enabled but seemed to interfere on startup. Reset cleared it.

Starman*