Totally weird, super frustrating, HELP!

daprofessa

So here’s the weird deal. Some years ago (about three PC builds), I had a problem with my machine where during the winter months (dry and cold) when I stood up from my chair the computer would lock/crash/reboot. I was never touching the PC when this happened, and I never felt “static-y” when I stood up, but it was totally repeatable and was definitely caused by me standing up off the chair. I never did track down the problem, but my “solution” then was to simply roll a few feet back from the desk before standing (old apartment with hard floors). My next two PC builds after that never exhibited this behaviour, and I’d forgotten all about it until this past weekend when I built a new rig. The problem is exactly the same; stand up near the desk, crash. Move away from the desk a few feet and stand, no problem, and it’s totally repeatable. Trouble is, now I live in a condo with carpet (and I’m no cream puff), so it is quite difficult to roll the chair back from the desk without rising out of it at least a little. I reused my PSU and hard drives from the previous machine (which did not exhibit this behaviour) in this one, and am still using the same chair, power bar, etc as I have since the first machine that had this problem (all of which has worked fine with the last two computers). I’ve googled this issue, and can only find one forum where someone complained of this exact issue, and though a few others chimed in saying they had a similar problem, there were no real solutions (aside from “get a new chair, haha”). I asked my IT department at work and they’d never heard of anything like it, and thus were no help. I even asked the electrical engineer at work, and she didn’t have any real ideas either, other than to say even though it sounds like static, you can’t project that much energy through the air if you aren’t actually touching the case. I have run Prime95 (and several games) for hours without any issues, so it doesn’t seem like it’s a system instability.

This is exceedingly frustrating as you might imagine, so I’m really hoping someone can help me with this!

Current build:

Case – Fractal Design Define R4 (white windowed edition, w. 2x140mm fans inc. w. case)
MOBO – Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
CPU – AMD FX-8350
RAM – Kingston HyperX Blu Black Series (8GBx2)
Vid Card – Gigabyte “Windforce” Radeon 7950
Cooler – Zalman CNPS9900 MAX
Drives – 2x Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB (RAID 0), 2x WD Black 640GB (RAID 0), 1x Seagate Barracuda 500GB (all reused from previous machine)
PSU – Corsair HX650 (reused from previous machine)

Connected peripherals (all reused from previous machine):

Mouse – Logitech M750 wireless
Keyboard – Logitech G110
External HDs – 1x 1TB and 1x 2TB, both in USB 2.0 enclosures (makes no dif if they are on or off, problem happens either way)
Knock-off (non-MS) wireless receiver for Xbox 360 controller
LCD monitor connected via DVI
Connected via Ethernet to router
Using onboard sound connected via optical output to surround receiver

newcomputer20

I've never heard of anything like this ha. You tired putting the PC on a block of wood? Checking theres no 'almost' short circuit on the MB?

cjmarsh81

Are you using the same power cables by any chance? Try a new power cable on the pc. Maybe it has a broken wire and the slight jolt is enough to disconnect power to the pc momentarily. Also if you are using a powerboard try running power straight to the wall or try a different powerboard and see if that helps. I have seen some cheap powerboards have very bad connections and the slightest movement or breeze is enough to disconnect the plug.

Only other thought is to open up the case and disconnect the reset button (assuming your case has one) and see if it still happens. Could be a dodgy reset switch and a little movement causes it to contact.

I don't believe it is static. It has to be movement related with a poor connection somewhere.

daprofessa

Are you using the same power cables by any chance? Try a new power cable on the pc. Maybe it has a broken wire and the slight jolt is enough to disconnect power to the pc momentarily. Also if you are using a powerboard try running power straight to the wall or try a different powerboard and see if that helps. I have seen some cheap powerboards have very bad connections and the slightest movement or breeze is enough to disconnect the plug.

Only other thought is to open up the case and disconnect the reset button (assuming your case has one) and see if it still happens. Could be a dodgy reset switch and a little movement causes it to contact.

I don't believe it is static. It has to be movement related with a poor connection somewhere.

My power bar is a quality one (by APC) that I've been using for some years (I have a couple of this model). I did try wiggling the cords and shaking the power bar, but nothing. Reset button is OK too; tried tapping on it and pushing it it just shy of engagement and nothing. In fact, when I get up in front of the desk I don't touch the desk and it happens. When I roll away from the desk first I push off using the desk and it doesn't happen. I will try a new power cable when I get home.

tech savvy

I've never heard of anything like this ha. You tired putting the PC on a block of wood? Checking theres no 'almost' short circuit on the MB?

Logic will tell us, wood can not conduct Electricity.

However...The moisture that makes up the wood can most definitely conduct electricity, as H2O contains Hydrogen Bonds, making it conductive.

So...with that being said, it's most likely a ground issue.

Edit: Now off to play W.o.T, GL!

Last edited:

tech savvy

Meaning it's installed improperly, or you think it has a defect?

I doubt it's a defect, but you never know.

Make sure every wire is accounted for, and there's no lose one's. What i'm trying to say is, do a quick look over before any drastic decision.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Also my thought; any ideas as to what? :)

Just pull it out and pop the side off and reseat all of the connections, power cables like motherboard 20/24 pin and CPU power conector/fan connectors/any PCI/AGP cards/memory. Just make sure everything is seated good.

daprofessa

Well, here's what's happened at this point: I reread the forum I found where someone else had posted about this issue, and the common thread between the handfull that were having the issue was that they all had a headset plugged in. I did not. Except that on the way from work I realized I DID. Not directly (ie not into the front or rear headphone jacks), but nonetheless there was a headset connected. My headset plugs into a controller/processor box, which itself then connects to A/C power, and also to the PC via USB. I had forgotten about it, since it has been tucked in behind my monitor for ages, but the USB cable was hanging down behind my desk, and I dutifully reconnected all cables I could see to the new PC when I was under there on the weekend. I couldn't see how that could be causing the odd behaviour, but it was an easy thing to try (I did test the PC this morning and after work; still misbehaving). Wouldn't you know, it seems to have worked. With the headset and controller disconnected, no more problems. I even put on the clothes I was wearing yesterday and tried it, just to be sure. Nothing. WTF?! Anyway, I will be keeping an eye on it, and if it acts up again I'll post.

Thanks for all the replies!

daprofessa

Well, it's back. I could not make it happen no matter what I did last night, and now it's happened twice already tonight. Sigh. I guess this weekend will be disassemble/reassemble....