Tracing an IP Address

adarsh

But won't that be violating the ISP policies and privacy stuff? It's basically like sniffing around private property right? Aren't they supposed to have a warrant for these kinds of stuff? The ISP is a private company who issue their own set of privacy statements.
I might be wrong , correct me. :D

massahwahl

VIP Member
Something tells me the FBI gets more of a say in our personal lives than we really know. I wouldnt be surprised if they are allowed full access to ISP's and such.

mbg

They caught the guy the other day that 'turned' the picture of his face- the guy that was putting a video of molesting a little girl....it didn't take them long at all! If you are trying to do something illegal/check up on someone's computer history, then you should be caught! Somehow you seem a bit evasive/shifty/not truthful- possibly tracking someone and considering abuse?????

tremmor

Heres the answer to your reply. 'YES' they can. It tracks back to which state and local city beside show which cable company. they call the cable company and ask who owns this ip. The only one that should be able to track is somebody with authority. Marshall, fbi or who ever. I myself for non illegal activity some time like to keep private. Mostly when shopping or credit card. (what ever). want to stay secure......port through a private proxy and not a public. you could be exposed. proxy will help keep ya secure while also porting through a secure socket layer. its a double whammy. Of course don't forget to turn off java script controls.

Anybody can track ip with special tools but not easily find who owns the ip. they or you can track and get the where part easily enough.
its built into many firewalls like sygate pro. If its leading a trail like to microsoft i might let it go through. then again maybe not.
look for 'whois'.

Last edited:

sony90220

i know they can find your general vicinity such as South Central, Los Angeles, but can they PINPOINT your EXACT LOCATION if you are leeching off other peoples' open WAP?

OvenMaster

VIP Member
But won't that be violating the ISP policies and privacy stuff? It's basically like sniffing around private property right? Aren't they supposed to have a warrant for these kinds of stuff? The ISP is a private company who issue their own set of privacy statements.
I might be wrong , correct me. :D

No offense, but have you ever heard of the Patriot Act?
Tom

Niranjan81

i know they can find your general vicinity such as South Central, Los Angeles, but can they PINPOINT your EXACT LOCATION if you are leeching off other peoples' open WAP?

LOL .. man u r funny!! My take on this would be this .. if this is a single time act...like say , u sit in ur car, drive to some neighborhood, use a unprotected wireless n/w, do ur "stuff" , shut ur laptop n then drive away with ur car never to do it again, then u can be pretty much be safe unless there is someway ur laptop's MAC address is recorded and then it can be traced back to the purchaser which would be you. I am not sure about the MAC address stuff though!
What I can say with surety is that u do something wrong, long enough and bad enough and more likely than not ur ass will be busted sooner or later! As i said last time that if push comes to shove things can be done and u can be traced! U really don't know what the CIAs, Mossads and the KGBs of the modern era have access to!