transfer 30 GB via crossover cable?

AlexWDesign

I have a computer I need to transfer about 30 GB, I have a crossover cable and both computers run win XP Pro. I have not been able, through the network wizard to get this to work.

My goal is to have the guest computer show up as another drive in My Computer and then just drag the files to the correct folder from the host computer to the guest.

How is the best way to do this?

Thanks guys.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
My goal is to have the guest computer show up as another drive in My Computer and then just drag the files to the correct folder from the host computer to the guest.
Thats not doable. When you get your network working, youll need to share a folder on the destination computer and then you can access it via either My Network Neighborhood or map it to a letter (at which point you will then be able to see it as a letter in My Computer). You may want to have a look at http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/mmr_fileprint_share.htm

computerdude2004

You can network your files from two computers and see it in my computer by networking the computer, going into network neighborhood, and then choosing map drive. This will make the drive show up in My Computer. To access that drive the computer must be on. The fastest you are ever going to get your network is to transfer at 1GB/s. A CAT6 network cable will allow you to transfer at 1GB. You are never going to get 30GB, because they don't sell cable's that go that fast. Not only do you need CAT6 network cable, your network cards must run at 10/100/1000 MBps. The ports on any of your network device, such as router and switches, must also be Gigabyte network devices so the ports run at 10/100/1000 MBps.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
computerdude2004 said:
You can network your files from two computers and see it in my computer by networking the computer, going into network neighborhood, and then choosing map drive. This will make the drive show up in My Computer. To access that drive the computer must be on. The fastest you are ever going to get your network is to transfer at 1GB/s. A CAT6 network cable will allow you to transfer at 1GB. You are never going to get 30GB, because they don't sell cable's that go that fast. Not only do you need CAT6 network cable, your network cards must run at 10/100/1000 MBps. The ports on any of your network device, such as router and switches, must also be Gigabyte network devices so the ports run at 10/100/1000 MBps.
actually, the it's not GBps, it's Gbps as in Gigabits per second. 8 bits = 1 byte, so that's what.... 1024 Mbps / 8 = 128 MBps... also, that's the maximun theoretical speed. however, most computers still have 100 Mbps nic cards, so you are only look at about 1/10th of that speed anyways.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
And even that, thats theoretical. On average, throughput is in the 60-70% range ... now if the file is one solid 30GB file then you might be playing in the 90% theoretical range :)

As for Cat6... its not needed ... recomendded but not needed. Cat5/Cat5e is capable of it as well.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
Praetor said:
And even that, thats theoretical. On average, throughput is in the 60-70% range ... now if the file is one solid 30GB file then you might be playing in the 90% theoretical range :)

As for Cat6... its not needed ... recomendded but not needed. Cat5/Cat5e is capable of it as well.
bingo.... we have a winner! :)