Tricky connection

MatrixEVO

I connect to the internet by connecting to our DSL router and the integrated motherboard ethernet port. For the past few days it has been playing lots of tricks on me. For example: I load my web browser and my home page loads (this site), then I click New Posts, browse for about a minute, then my web page loading decides to freeze up on me and time out whenever I try to go somewhere. Sometimes I can only go to some websites and not others. Like sometimes this site doesn't load but Xoxide.com does. MSN Messenger also only signs in for me about 15% of the time. I was wondering if anybody at all had any thoughts on what is up with my connection. I think I am lucky that it is letting me post this thread.

PS: I can also play multiplayer games with the web page loading and MSN not working.

Geoff

VIP Member
Also note that this happened to me on tuesday.

Ryan, does it ever say to you that your ethernet cord is disconected? And does your LAN port not show up sometimes? That happened to me before.

MatrixEVO

Nope, I have the connection and the port shows up. One thing I noticed is that when I can't do any web related things at all, my packets recieved stop.

MatrixEVO

This problem is still being a real pain. I will bump later tonight when more people are on if nobody is able to make a suggestion today.

lee101

VIP Member
hmm, i used to have this problem with windows 98 and i first setup my network, in the end i just gave up with net access, my only thought is are you using IE?
if so does it somehow keep switching to "work offline" as this also affects msn, if it does that could be your problem, if you don't already have it try downloading firefox, or another browser to see if that works

edit:When your browser cuts you fo try pingin through command prompt, to see if yopu do still ahve an active internet connection

MatrixEVO

lee101 said:
hmm, i used to have this problem with windows 98 and i first setup my network, in the end i just gave up with net access, my only thought is are you using IE?
if so does it somehow keep switching to "work offline" as this also affects msn, if it does that could be your problem, if you don't already have it try downloading firefox, or another browser to see if that works

edit:When your browser cuts you fo try pingin through command prompt, to see if yopu do still ahve an active internet connection

I use Firefox all of the time, so it shouldn't be the browser. IE does the same exact thing. When I get home I will try pinging, but I think it will be an active connection because I can play online games, but I can't surf the net very well.

spacedude89

see if you router is overheating, i was having all kinds of weird problems till i figured out it was the router.

lee101

VIP Member
spacedude89 said:
see if you router is overheating, i was having all kinds of weird problems till i figured out it was the router.
i know this si a bit far fetched but seen as it is blocking your internet, maybe your router has some kind of rule set that makes it blobk port 80, and some otherds, seeing as you have an active net connection

MatrixEVO

My PC Repair teacher said that it may have something to do with the DNS server, does anybody think that it could?

NeoDude

Try updating the firmware on the router and check that you are using the latest drivers for your MB. As far as DNS goes you could try manually inserting your ISPs DNS addresses into your routers setup page.

Geoff

VIP Member
MatrixEVO said:
My PC Repair teacher said that it may have something to do with the DNS server, does anybody think that it could?
the DNS server IP's are given to you by GSInet, if you change them then the internet most likely wont work at all for any of your PC's. Try assigning the address to your PC, such as:

DNS #1
DNS #2

Change the IP's to that of your router, thats just what mine is. It could be a problem with the DHCP server since i think we have the same DNS servers.

MatrixEVO

Now it's really making me mad. I can browse web pages (slowly though, yet I have a 2.5mb connection), and I can't upload a thing, not one. Does anybody know what's going on? I'm getting sick of poor internet use.

Geoff

VIP Member
MatrixEVO said:
Now it's really making me mad. I can browse web pages (slowly though, yet I have a 2.5mb connection), and I can't upload a thing, not one. Does anybody know what's going on? I'm getting sick of poor internet use.

Me and matrix also have the same connection, and we live about a mile apart. I've been having slow web page loading times, but games and downloads are normal.

Have you tried doing a hard reset on the router and re-entereing all the info that came with it?

Motoxrdude

I have had this problem too before. I just turned off our modem for 20 minutes, turned it back on and it worked. It seems to happen to me a few times a year...

MatrixEVO

[-0MEGA-] said:
Have you tried doing a hard reset on the router and re-entereing all the info that came with it?

No, but can you upload Geoff? Sounds like we have the same* thing going on. EDIT: similar*

MatrixEVO

Motoxrdude said:
I have had this problem too before. I just turned off our modem for 20 minutes, turned it back on and it worked. It seems to happen to me a few times a year...

I think I will do that, but I have to let my dad know first, cause he will have to enter all his wireless security into it again, which he finds annoying.

Geoff

VIP Member
MatrixEVO said:
No, but can you upload Geoff? Sounds like we have the same* thing going on. EDIT: similar*
but i can upload, i uploaded 5 screenshots to photobucket about a half hour ago.

Motoxrdude

MatrixEVO said:
I think I will do that, but I have to let my dad know first, cause he will have to enter all his wireless security into it again, which he finds annoying.
No, just turn off the modem, not the router. I turned off the modem and it still had all the stuff saved and immediatly worked. I'd let him know anyways because it might be different for you.

Geoff

VIP Member
Motoxrdude said:
No, just turn off the modem, not the router. I turned off the modem and it still had all the stuff saved and immediatly worked. I'd let him know anyways because it might be different for you.
its a modem/router. There built in together.