Trouble burning files to dvd+r (and or dvd-r) discs.

fox64

I'm trying to find out if I can burn files to dvd+r discs on a computer that I have.
I put a blank DVD+R disk in to test if it can burn files to DVD+R and it acted like it only wrote CD disks or something.

The computer has XP.
when I go to "My Computer" it has a drive called "DVD-RW Drive (E)" "CD Drive".

When I go to "Device Manager" and click on "DVD/CD-ROM drives" under it appears "HP DVD writer 740b".
(On the PC it has a sticker that says something about "LightScribe".)

With this is it possible to Write files to DVD+R and or DVD-R disks?
Is "DVD-RW Drive (E)" where you would write/burn dvdr disks or would you have to use some other programe?

Agent Smith

XP does not burn DVD's natively, only CDs. Windows Vista and up burns DVDs natively, though I never tried it as I always used Imgburn. Give Imgburn a try, but make sure you chose custom install as there might be open candy you need to opt out of. Never had the issue myself, but I heard it's there on other forums. Perhaps it's due to my old version.

InfraRecorder is another option.

http://infrarecorder.org/?page_id=5

http://www.imgburn.com/

MyCattMaxx

Other than what Agent Smith said, the HP DVD writer 740b is junk.
I bought one new a few years back because it was cheap $$.
Worked OK for awhile then quit burning/playing DVDs.
After searching the web I found it is a common problem with that model.
I recommend you buy a replacement if you want to work with DVDs.

Last edited:

fox64

Cool thanks.

Yep, I have read bad stuff about HP DVD writer 740b.

So is this just a matter of software? Is the computer physically able to burn dvd+r discs, does it have the hardware?

I was reading about external dvd+r burners, would this be necessary or is it just a mater of using/having the rite software/program?

P.S.
Sorry for the lateness of my reply.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You need software that will burn dvd's since you are using XP operating system. Don't use external, they are slower with the usb interface, just get an internal one.